686 differences

ctjoe

what are the differences between 686 and 686P ? I know one is 7 shot but does the P stand for performance and has trigger work?

Thanks

ShootingNut

Own a 686P myself, beautiful shooting gun. Very accurate even in my "shaky" hands with the old peepers. Only gripe I have, it is a pain to get it really cleaned up, getting the carbon rings off the face of the cylinder.
That is why I don't shoot it very often, take the semi autos instead more to the range.
Wish I knew of a cleaning product that really worked easy, I have tried
treated lead rags as Hoppes #9 doesn't hardly touch it.
Regards,
SN

carguychris

Some people claim (key word there!) that the M686 Plus has a lighter double-action trigger pull because the 7-shot cylinder doesn't have to move as far as the 6-shot cylinder.

I can't tell the difference.

S&W generally reserves out-of-the-box factory trigger work for their "Pro Series" and "Performance Center" guns, particularly the latter. They will do a trigger job on almost any recent S&W product if you send it to them, but you gotta pay for it. :)

roaddog28

Hi,
While I don't own a 686P I have handled several of them and I don't feel any difference between the 686P and my 686-2. I still like mine because it is a pre-lock. Now the performance models do have work done on their triggers. I have handled a 686ssr 4 inch and the trigger is very good. But then again it should be for the amount of money S&W whats for it.
Bottom line, I don't think there is any difference between the P and the standard 686 other than one more round.
Howard

roaddog28

Only gripe I have, it is a pain to get it really cleaned up, getting the carbon rings off the face of the cylinder.

Wish I knew of a cleaning product that really worked easy, I have tried
treated lead rags as Hoppes #9 doesn't hardly touch it.

Try Mothers mag polish or Meguires mag polish. It will remove carbon rings. I do it all the time one my 686-2.

Howard

breed

i use mothers on my 681.works fine. same gun as the 686 just with out the adjustable sights. I've not pulled many triggers as smooth as the 681.DA or SA.

ShootingNut

roaddog

Thanks, I will give that a try. My reloads leave a mean residue, so I'm willing to try anything (within reason that is).
Regards,
SN