686 Ammo Question

Big Dave

Hi Guys,

I have a few hundred rounds of some old 38 special (1999/2000) ammo that I'd like to run through my 686. I've heard about "leading" of the barrel. But, not sure what causes that. Is this cheap White Box ammo going to create any issues for my 686?

What is a good / not too expensive 38 round for the 686 with 6" barrel...just plinking at the range?

Thanks,
Dave

IMG_1902.JPG

saands

Usually, leading happens when you drive plain lead projectiles at magnum velocities ... using these in your 686 will be fine. What you do have to do, however, is make sure that there isn't any buildup in your cylinder/chamber as the 38 cases are shorter and after shooting a lot of 38 in the 357 it may be difficult to chamber 357 rounds until you clean the crud out.

Saands

ETA: I'm assuming that since you are talking about 38 spec and a "686," that it is a S&W 686 ... probably a safe assumption, but I wanted to note that it was an assumption.

Kreyzhorse

Those will shoot fine in your 686. Just make sure you clean the cylinder chambers well when done otherwise you might get some build up that might make loading .357 rounds more difficult.

drail

What will really determine if your gun will lead badly is the dimensions of the throats. If they're undersized the bullet will get swaged down when it passes through the throat and be too small for the bore dia. and gases will blow by the bullet and melt lead which will be deposited in the bore. Most commercial lead bullet loads are built with very soft swaged lead bullets. If the finish of the bore is rough you will see leading. A lot of guns with rough bores will lead badly when new but will become smoother after enough rounds pass through it. Bottom line, check for leading every time you clean and if it's building up get it out either with a Lewis lead remover or with a copper Chore Boy scrub pad wrapped around a brush. Or just don't shoot lead. Factory lead ammo may be a little bit cheaper but you may get to spend some bench time cleaning the lead out of your barrel. If you're limited to factory ammo I would just shoot jacketed rounds. If you decide to take up reloading you can use hard cast lead bullets of the exact size that will fit your barrel and throats.