686+ accuracy problems

hipwr40

I purchased my first revolver a couple of weeks ago...a 4" 686+ that appeared to be fired very little.

Got to the range the other day and put some .357 PMC 158gr JSP and some .38 Gold Dots through it. Maybe it was me, as I have a lot more experience with with autos than wheelguns, or maybe the ammo....but the accuracy at 10 and 15 yards pretty much sucked. Very dissapointing.

My friends .38 snubby Rossi groups better than my 686+...what's up? Anybody have any suggestions? The grouping wasn't necessarily awful, but inconsistent...high, low, left, right, in between, etc. I've owned some pretty accurate autos before (P7M8, Hi Power, HK USP40, Colts, Springfields)and was expecting similar results. Was this expecting too much?

capbuster

shoot the revolver over a good solid rest which should give you a good indication of the consistency of your handgun with that particular load. The revolver may prefer one brand over another. I have had good luck with federal hydra shoks in my model 27 but this may not be good for your revolver.Those magnum loads rock a bit so give yourself ample rest between shots to let you nerves stablize. good luck.-Cliff

Drundel

Hmm... I have a 686 6" and I can shoot pretty good. I can't group .38 near as good as I can shoot .357 out of it. Try what capbuster said or try some other person shooting it and see if they can do any better. Good luck to you and let us know.

hipwr40

Thanks for the ideas, I'll let you know. Hopefully, it's just that I need to get accustomed to the S&W, or the ammo I was using, or a combo of both. I'll try different ammo and let a couple of other people (that usually shoot better than me) give it a try.

It was just strange...I was expecting really tight groups right from the first trip to the range. I tend to be able to adapt to different pistols and shoot them fairly well first time out. In the same range trip I was knocking out the x ring w/ my HS2000 and Colt Officers at the same distances.

At least the S&W is pretty to look at and has a sweet trigger pull:)

M1911

Definitely shoot it from a rest and with different ammo. The rest will help you figure out whether it is you or the gun.

M1911

lobster

also have accuracy problems w/ 686

I have a 6" 686 and am shooting 147 gr and my shots are consistantly low. I have no more room to adjust the sights. Anyone else have this problem.? Suggestions, shoud I try a heavier load ?

flyinpolack

I have a 686 also, & shoot not-so-good with it, I thought it was my gun.
Then I had MonsterB try it. It's not the gun, I am sad to say..

SwampYankee

I've got a 6" 686 and it is one of my most accurate revolvers. It's a bit muzzle heavy but at 12 yards, 50 rounds will makes a big ragged hole exactly where I point it. I'm surprised to hear of potential accuracy problems. I shoot exclusively 158 gr LRN hard cast bullets, using in .38 Special cases charged with 5.3 gr of Unique, essentially the max +p listed load for .38 Special. I once ran some 125g Remington .356 Mag through it and it was still just as accurate.

Kreyzhorse

Hipwr40 - you'll get used to it most likely. I would shoot it off a bench to build your confidence in the gun and make sure the gun is accurate. After that, practice with it and your accuracy will come.

MonsterB

Some suggestions from a 686 owner...I have a snubby that I can shoot pretty good. I tried some new wood grips last week that made it very hard to get my trigger finger on the trigger, too big...my accuracy sucked. You need to get more of your figer on the trigger than with a semi due to the much heavier pull. Do alot of dry firing, and watch the front sight, it may show u what u are doing wrong.

SwampYankee

Yes, it is a zombie thread and the author probably should have started a new thread but then he would have been told to "do a search and stop asking the same question that's already been answered 10 years ago". Of course, we could all just let the moderators do their jobs and make a decision whether to shut it down, move it or let it go....

Last edited: