686 3" Cs-1

18DAI

I went to look at a S&W M66 3" this morning. When I got there, the fella said he'd sold it. I asked about any other 3" pre lock S&W's, and he said he had a 686. He brought out a blue cardboard box, and pulled a dull gray 3" 686 out. I thought I'd seen pictures before of such a revolver. I saw the pachmayr grips, and thin pinned black blade front sight...... and hoped. I swung out the cylinder and read the "CS-1" above the model number. Sold to me. I've read that S&W put alot of effort into these 686's, in order to meet the specifications of the US customs service. I'll post a range report when I get time to shoot it. All in all, I think it was a pretty good consolation prize. Regards 18DAI.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. Here is a picture of the CS-1:

NewSWCS1rock2.jpg

The gun came with Pachmayr rubber grips. It is wearing Eagle "Secret Service" grips now.

Best.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Mr. Camp,

I hate you.

Nothing personal.

Best,
Tam

(PS: 3" Smith & Wessons make me feel all squishy inside... :eek: )

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello, Tamara. Hahahahaha! I understand. I am green with envy when I see folks picking up the old S&W Model 520 .357's. Some get them NIB at good prices. I cannot even find one to look at!

Take care, and best.

Ga Johnny

I bought a 4" CS1 back in the early 90's, that was the ill-shootingest gun I had ever shot, I could barely hit the floor with it. :mad:

I certainly hope your's works out better for you, than mine did for me.

I saw a 4" one at the gun show this weekend. Priced at $375, that's only $50 more that I gave for a new one way back when.:barf:

SIGWolf

I also found one at my FFL

I don't think they knew what it was. I saw it in the case, Satin Stainless finish, 686, 3", Packmayr Compac Professional grips; opened the cylinder and yes, it was a CS-1. They had it priced at $399. I eventually got it for $382 out-the-door.

It does have some holster wear but it's all honest wear and the crank and lockup are very tight. I don't think it has been fired much though there is a definite cylinder ring.

Here are the pics. I think the little slip of paper is pretty neat.

686CS11.jpg

686CS12.jpg

686CS13.jpg

686CS14.jpg

686CS15.jpg

686CS16.jpg

DAdams

CS-1

That is a find. I have seen them on Guns America with asking prices around 1000-1200.

There were 3000 made. Janet Reno had 1500 destroyed (approx). There are only 1500 3 inchers left. They were for the plain clothed Customs Agents.

Here's mine.

P2250041.jpg

Most gun shops and pawn shops are clueless as to what they have.

I wouldn't hesitate buying one w/o the 2M (modification) stamp.

Mine shoots like a mutha. 92XX. Only a couple hundred apart SIGwolf. My box hasn't shown up yet. Drat. Contract 85-53. Do you suppose these are mostly 1985 vintage. That's what I suspect or was told somewhere along the line.

Deaf Smith

Stephen,

I'm gonna have to look in my safe. Your CS-1, with the Secret Service grips is the spittem image of MINE! Even down to the black front sight. Only I don't know if it has a CS-1 on the inside of the crane.

It's a real good gun and a keeper for sure.

Deaf Smith

Stephen.... I looked. Sure enough my 686 3 incher IS a CS-1! Even has the 2 M on it. Only it turns out I have Smith&Wesson RB combat stocks on it and not Secret Service Grips (they are on the 2 1/2 M66 of mine that has a pinned barrel and recessed chambers.)

Cool. I now have a East German police Makarov, West German P6, U.S. Customs Service 686. Sadly I missed out on those U.S. Postal Service Speed Six .357s they had years ago for sale (rats!)

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. Well, I believe that you have a good revolver. I was sorry to read where one fellow had poor luck with his. Mine has proven accurate and reliable to be sure.

SWCS-1hideoutgriprock1.jpg

My CS-1 is now wearing a set of the inexpensive nylon Hideout grips. I had to glassbed them to the gun for a snug fit and textured the surface for a bit more "traction."

Best.

Deaf Smith

Good revolver? While back I took it to the inddor range with a security guard friend of mine. Let him fire it and a few others (he wanted to see if maybe his Sig 220 was 'good enough'... it was of course.) Well in my hands that revolver ate one ragged hole at 10 yards, standing firing two handed SA.

Never have had any problems with it. Real good shooter... and now I guess collector. Funny thing is, it matches my 625 3 inch barreled .45 ACP. Same black front sight and chromed trigger and hammer.

Again, it's a keeper!

Archie

I carried one for several years. I was originally issued a four inch and one of the other guys had a three. He didn't like the three so we talked with the local weapons staff and traded.

With issue Federal 125 Magnum ammo I shot perfect scores all the while I carried that beastie. Then the service changed issue guns and I had to give up my manly magnum for an effeminate 6913 in 9x19 hopeful caliber. What a let down.

grymster2007

What's wrong with you people?

I was just whining about another gun my wife has yet to sign off on me getting and now this. Think I'll go join an Italian sports car forum... I'm sure my list of wants would be shorter... maybe cheaper too!

grym

JDSnead

Like These?

Here are a couple of these CS-1s I have in the safe. They both are wearing Ahrends Cocobolo grips.
Enjoy!

686cs1.jpg

My .02
JS

18DAI

Congrats SIGWolf! You done good! A 686 CS-1 for under $400 :eek:

Go over on the S&W forum and listen to the wailing when you post what you paid ;)

Great revolver, enjoy yours. Regards 18DAI.