649 .38 special?

Mastrogiacomo

My local shop has a 649 .38 Special ala0xxx $299.95 stainless with shrouded hammer and a 649-3 .38 Special CCD3xxx $329.00. I'm not sure what these guns would look like or the weight (I know they're the hump back but it's the size - the same as 642?). At the moment, money is tight with a move pending in August. I'm not sure if I should just save up for the 649 .357 or look into one of these. Suggestions?

WillBrayjr

Priorities come first. Get moved in then save up to buy what you wan't. I'm in a similar position right now. I'm moving in a few days, there are things that I wan't but they'll just have to wait until after I move.

The 642 weighs 15 ounces with an overall length of 6.5/16in.

The 649 weighs 23 ounces with an overall length of 6.9/16in. The 649 also has an extended grip.

BillCA

The 649 up to the -2 models were .38 special. With the -3 model the frame was changed to the "J-Magnum" frame to accomodate the .357 Magnum cartridge.

The .38 special version will weigh in at 20oz versus 23oz for the .357. The 642 is an Airweight gun and only weighs 15.8 oz.

You'll find that the .38 frame and barrel are a tad shorter. The .38's have a 2" barrel while the .357 is 2 1/8" long. (There were some 649-3's in .38 special made in 97-98 on the new frame with 1 7/8" barrels - your $329 model seems to be one of these).

Supica's 2001 edition of the Standard Catalog of S&W lists a 649 .38 special between $250 in VG condition to $370 NIB. Your deal of around $300 is decent if the gun is in Excellent condition.

For a size & shape comparision, see the following image:

jduo03.jpg

S&W Model 042 (top) Airweight .38 Special and S&W Model 649-3 .357 Magnum (bottom). The Model 042 is was a single-year transition model between the older Model 42 and the .357 642.

Mastrogiacomo

Thanks for the info. I agree, I should hold off on new purchases until I've settled into my new place. I'll need a couple of gun safes for the new place as well: a big one for all the guns, a small one for by my bed. At the moment, I'm looking to get rid of my PC which is old for a new slim, flat desktop, a flat TV -- maybe Samsung and a desk. All this to secure my guns, and make the new room clutter free as possible. These snubbies are addictive...

JB in SC

The 649 (non-magnum framed) .38 Special is a desirable gun in my area. Mostly, if not all, forged parts. No lock. If I saw one locally for $300, I'd snap it up. If seen, normally in the $350-400 range for mint to NIB.

Mastrogiacomo

I'm considering that, yes. Actually all of my guns have been bought that way. My model 60 most recently was purchased after a month or two of layaway. I just want to get a sense of what my expenses are and go from there so I don't dig myself into a hole if the computer desk, PC/or TV costs more than I expected to pay.

Majic

Move first! There can be a lot of unplanned expenses when you move. The revolvers were made in great numbers and another one will come your way again.

Edward429451

(or the other perspective)

Cement the deal and get the gun! Things have a way of working themselves out. :D

My dad had a 649 and it was a great little gun/

Mastrogiacomo

I'd have to say I'm in agreement with putting my priorities first. I just picked out the new computer desk, chair (of which I have the money but will purchase when we get ready to move in). I also need a floor mat to protect the rug ($30-40 at most) but also still need the flat screen TV, table lamps, and new desktop computer. As much as I want the gun, I'd have my head up in the clouds to make a pleasure purchase now. Hopefully, I'll be able to get something by the end of August -- if I'm holding my grounds that is, which is tough....

ISP2605

My 649 goes with me everywhere. I picked it up in 1995 as my 2nd/backup. Since then it's rode with me everyday, usually in an ankle rig when in uniform, more often than not it's my go-to off duty gun. Great little shooter. It's been fed nothing but a steady diet of either W-W or Fed 158 gr LSWCHP+P.

Attachments

• 649.JPG
    649.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 242

BusGunner007

ISP2605:

That's one of the "Top 5" coolest Bodyguards I've seen.
Nice.

IF I had a S&W, the Bodyguard is my #1 Choice.
Maybe someday. It was the first handgun I ever wanted.

attachment.php