642 longevity with +P

garry owen

I recently aquired a NIB 642-2 that shoots very well with Remington UMC 38+p 125gr sjhp's. In what I understand this is a "carry alot shoot a little" revolver, what kind of longevity can I recieve from this gun? Do these guns shoot loose or have timing issues after a steady diet of +P? Thank you.

Daryl

I have a 637-2, which is the exposed hammer version of the same gun.

I wouldn't worry too much about shooting it loose. If you do that, you'll put far more money into buying ammo than you spent on the gun. Buy another, and shoot it loose too...

If you can.

I've put a lot of ammo trough my 637 in the last 8 years, and it's still as tight as the day I bought it.

Shoot it, and don't sweat it.

Daryl

Kreyzhorse

"carry alot shoot a little"

I've got a 637. It's a great revolver, solid and very well made. I agree with Daryl that you aren't going tear up this revolver with regular use.

Recoil is a little harsh with +P and it might not be everyone's favorite range gun. Personally, I think its a great shooting gun but I prefer to carry +P and practice with regular .38s.

Deja vu

I carry a simmular gun (S&W 640 in 357 magnum) and I all most never shoot 38s or 38+p through it (may be 3 boxes in its life time) and I shoot at least 1/2 a box every week. After 3 years of a steady diet of 357 magnums I have only seen the most slight loosening up.

p.s. I don't believe in the shoot a little carry a lot. I think the gun you carry should be the one you practice with the most. Just my opinion...

jhco50

I don't understand why you really need +P ammo. the old standard has been a good round for many years.

spacecoast

If for some reason you wear it out (which isn't likely), then you can always look forward to getting another one. If that sounds like a lot of expense, the ammo you consume wearing out the first one will be far costlier than the gun itself.

Most folks do the majority of their practice with standard pressure rounds, shoot a few hot ones and and carry the +Ps. In a gunfight you aren't even going to notice the recoil you'll be thinking about so many other things.

kraigwy

"carry alot shoot a little" revolver,

That spells laziness. Why do people even consider carrying a pistol/revolver they don't shoot.

I shoot a lot, I have a lot of pistols/revolvers. But without a doubt none get shot as much (even combined) that my little 642 does.

I think the 642 will hold up to heavy SD loads more then the shooter will. No law says you have to practice with you're carry loads. You should shoot some yes. But shoot milder loads to keep up with your fundamentals.

Shoot long distance, short distance and in between. Shoot until you get confidence in your and the guns capabilities.

Don't worry about wearing out the gun. It will take it.

Smilin Jack

Shoot it and enjoy. I have a 649 in .357 for my EDC just so I can shoot anything as much as I like. I did have a Charter Arms 38 that I put about 600 rounds and another 150 of +P throught it........fell apart like a cheap suit.

Yankee Doodle

Not that I would EVER tell anyone to do as I did, but I carried a Smith Mod. 37 for years while still on "The Job". I must have fired over 500 rounds of +P ammo through that aluminum framed gun, and it was not even rated for +P. As a matter of fact, Smith said "Don't use +P in this gun."
OK, that being said, I never had any problems with the piece shooting loose, and depended upon it to protect my life for a good number of years. When I retired, I gave the 37 to my son, and he still carries it on a daily basis. With +P ammo.
When I realized how stupid I was to give the 37 away, I got a 642, which IS rated for +P ammo, and have never fired anything else through it. So far, about 2500 rounds. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Shoot it till you are too old to enjoy it, and then give it to your grandchild.

hardworker

From a purely monetary standpoint, it's a waste. Yes, a few +p's here and there to get acquainted with the recoil and noise, but why shoot box after box after box of the high dollar defense bullets? Paper targets and soda cans can't tell the difference between those and the cheapest ammo walmart sells.

shortwave

"carry alot shoot a little" revolver.

Don't own one of those.

I do however own a 642 and 442 which I rotate carrying.

Both of which have digested much +p ammo with no loosening issue's. There main diet is standard pressure but at the end of most range session's I'll run 5 or so + p"s through them as this is what I carry. No visible loosening.

+1 on the 37 Yankee Doodle. Wasn't LEO but did the same thing for years.:eek:. No super high pressure +p ammo made by the likes of Corbon etc., but +p's just the same.

Brothers got gun now cause he shot himself in the throat with it( bullet ricocheted back while shooting into buddies RR ties, no penetration, long story).:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ichiro

Mine lasted about 900 rounds with mostly very light reloads before developing a light-strike problem. I fired about another 100 rounds through it with all the various factory ammo I had on hand, and it kept going bang - bang - bang - click - click no matter what was in the gun.

My 642 ended up being quite a bad gun in this respect. Yeah, I know these things can be fixed, but it was horrible to shoot anyway, so I sold it.

garry owen

Thats what I wanted to hear, and I do intend on shooting the 642 more than carry it. It is very accurate with the wally world +p Remington UMC 125 gr HP's. Although not a premium defense round, it should do the job.

8shot357

garry owen

Post # 14

Thats what I wanted to hear, and I do intend on shooting the 642 more than carry it. It is very accurate with the wally world +p Remington UMC 125 gr HP's. Although not a premium defense round, it should do the job.

Those are SJHPs right? I'd be fine with those, that's what I carry in my Ruger SP101, of course they are .357mags, same bullet I think (mine just expands more and makes two holes instead of one).:D

I normally carry a S&W 638, and would be fine with those, in fact I would carry those if my Wally World had them and or I didn't get such a good deal on GDHPs (Gold Dot) 135g +P short barrel ammo.