640 vs. 649 - price differences?

Mastrogiacomo

My shop informed me that there's a consumer special from S&W coming May 1st. I'll probably get them both at some point, but want to get one of them during this sale. Does anyone know what they generally cost and what the price differences, if any, are between the two?

BillCA

Prices will vary by region and states.

MA, NY, and CA have legal restrictions that drive up the price of the available guns. Some states, like Texas, have much lower prices and higher demand.

I have the Model 649 and it's quickly become a favorite gun. I like the unusual looks of the 649 slightly more than the 640.

For what it's worth, I found that the 649 seemed to be regulated for 158gr ammo in either .38 or .357. Downside is that the Magnum loads are a tad more accurate, but recoil of 158gr .357's are stout enough that I have to readjust my grip after each shot. The good news is that 125gr JHPs seem to be nearly as accurate and much more pleasant to shoot.

Mastrogiacomo

I'm not overly concerned with magnum shots. I use .38's though my 60 (.357 model) and find it works great. I love the gun. I'm moving into a condo in late August, so I'm looking at guns I could carry in my poket for when I walk around the complex. Something to keep close to me for protection that's not noticable. I'll pick up the SP101 at some point for the magnum choice, but for now the model 60 is my baby and I don't have the funds now for a gun that's not immediately practical. I like the looks of the 640 and the options that come with the 649 which is why I'm sure I'll end up with both. I'm curious though is there's any price differences between them and if so, why. From the S&W site, there doesn't appear to be any differences in size, length, or weight.