629 unfluted questions

Mastrogiacomo

I'm used to the kick of the 686 but this looks like a nice gun. I've never shot a .44 though; anyone have one that can describe the recoil? Is it the same as the .357 or worse?

Hogleg

I just got a 629 with the 8 inch barrel, and it's got quiet a bit more kick than my 4 inch 686. It isnt a gun I would want to shoot all day, but it does not hurt. I havent played with any loads other than PMC 240gr, so someone with more 44 knowledge can help you more. I do know you can shoot 44 special through it for plinking if recoil is a problem.BTW, the 629's are very nice guns.

fleiger

I had 5" 629 for a few years and shot mostly .44 Specials out of it and could plink with it all day without feeling beat up from it. Great gun the 629!

DHart

Just because the gun will fire full house maggies doesn't mean you need to do so. I very rarely shoot full house .44 mags in my 629. My favorite loads in the 629 are .44 magnum "starting" loads... a 200 grain bullet moving at about 1000 fps. Very nice indeed! And there is a factory defense load which is great... ProLoad Tactical Lite .44 mag. 200 gr. Gold Dot moving at 1036 from my 3" 629. Excellent and very controllable defense load.

M629_Right.jpg

OldFart

As a recent buyer of a S&W 329, I've encountered recoil that I can hardly believe...as in a hematoma between 1st and 2nd digit after very few full-house rounds.

What I discovered fairly quickly, is the Hogue grips provided with both the 329 and 629 leave the backstrap uncovered- exactly where you need some padding!

S&W sells some excellent Hogue grips intended for their M500 which do a great job at taming recoil- they take the pain and injury out of heavy recoiling guns.

Just start out with some .44 Spl loads (or reduced power .44 Mag loads should you have access to a reloader) and work up- you'll find with the proper grips, the .44 Mag's a real hoot!

Ozzieman

I have a 2 1/2 in unfluted 629

If I am going to shoot a bunch through it 44 specials are fine for me. I have packmyers grips on mine and they help a lot with the mag loads making it much easier to shoot than wooden grips.