629 Mountain Gun or 29-2

ZEBRARANGER

I,ve been looking for another revolver to add to my small collection, since I already have three 357 magnums (1 colt 2 rugers) I was wanting a 44 mag. I found a pretty good deal on a S&W 629 Mountain Gun 4" SS and was about to purchase it. Then I just ran across a mint S&W 29-2, 8/38" barrel blued 44 with the presentation case with the accessories. Both guns in the same price range. I've also found a 686 4" 7 shot in very nice condition in the same price range. Now Im torn, what would you do?

Last edited:

bluetopper

You, my friend, will have to make the call on that one.

Me? I think I'd go with the 29-2, especially if the other has the lock. Shorter barrels tend to bring more money however.

You did mean the 29-2 is a 44 didn't you?

liviussteven

you said you already have 3 357's... that 686 4" seven shot is a 357... i have one and love it. If you are fixing to get into 44's.. the 686 won't work.

357 used to be my favorit gun, however, since buying and shooting the 44 mag.. i have been won over.

I have a 8 3/8" colt Anaconda 44 ported , a S&W 6" 29-2 commemorative, a S&W 7 1/2" magna classic 629-3 and a S&W 6 1/2" ported 629-6.

the 29-2 commemorative has never been shot... nor has the 629 magna classic... but i shoot the colt and the 629-6 quite a bit. I have shot a 4" 44 mag but don't own one.
my advice is this: If you like 357's... there's a real good chance your going to love the 44. I recommend for your first 44 at least a 6".. ported barrel.
the longer barrel adds some weight and the port's provide some relief on recoil... making it alot of fun to shoot.

Last edited:

Webleymkv

As an investment, the 29-2 will be worth more down the road as P&R guns are no longer made. However, if you're just wanting a shooter, the choice depends on whether you'd rather have the 4" or 8 3/8" barrel.

J.Netto

I'd go with the 629. But hey, I'm a fan of just about all of the S&W revolvers.

How could you go wrong with any of the ones you listed? I don't believe you could.

Anyway, I always liked the way the Mountain gun version of the 629 looked though - Cool sights, slimmed down barrel, less weight. Now I want one! :D

ZEBRARANGER

I went with the 29-2, it was just too beautiful to pass up, deep bluing and not a mark on it. I can always pick up a stainless 629 down the road.

Jim Z.

I prefer a 29 to 629 and a 4" barrel to a 6" barrel. In fact I'm looking for one now. I have a 629, 4" with lock and a 6" 29 without a lock go figure. To me a 4" Mod 29 is the perfect combo for my woods gun.

HPIM1201.jpg

HPIM1202.jpg

:cool:

BigJimP

The problem I have is I like them both / and I have a 629 DX model 8 3/8", and a 629 Trail Boss 3" ported by RSR - both nice guns / and some model 29's in nickel and blued - in 6" and 8 3/8" ....

They're all great guns / the 3" ported Trail Boss is fun too shoot - and easy to carry ( if I wanted to carry it on a trail ) / the 8 3/8" barrels are too long to carry, unless you carry them in a break away shoulder rig .... but fishing, that keeps them up and out of the water too .....

It just depends on what you want - and since you started with the model 29 - nice job. I think you're right / there will be more 629's down the road - and enjoy that model 29.

MLeake

What do you plan to do with it?

I bought mine for hiking and possibly as a backup to a rifle for hunting, so I went with the 29-8 Mountain Gun, blued 4".

I find the longer barrels uncomfortable for carry, and I like the balance of a 4" better anyway.

If I were going to shoot silhouette, or from a rest, then the longer barrel might be my choice, but generally the longer ones don't fit my specific needs.

For a collectible, you should go with whatever you like better, or whatever one would be harder to find at a later time. While I am sort of developing a small collection, I only "collect" guns that I shoot. No NIB, presentation grade guns in my safe.

Cheers,

M

Stainz

I had a 629MG - replaced it with a 2 oz heavier standard production 4" 629, which has a larger hammer & trigger, a bit more mass out front for theoretically less muzzle rise, and orange ramp front/white outline rear sights vs the black/black of the MG. I would, if you plan on shooting it, nix the 29-2 as it is pre-endurance package. If the 629 is a Mountain Revolver, ie, a 629-2, it might be pre-endurance package. The first 629 Mountain Gun started with the -4 in '93, post endurance package inclusion. Newer is stronger, if you want to shoot it - and SS is easier to clean and keep presentable. Of course, my pragmatic view is that of a shooter, not an 'investor'. In the final analysis, it's up to you - and your taste. Get what makes you think 'Wow!'.

Stainz

PS And... post us a picture!

speedsixman

I have a 629-5 Mountain Gun. It is the first series to have the frame-mounted firing pin, and the last series before the internal locks. IMO the 629-5 is the best series of the stainless Smiths.
Only drawback to the Mountain Gun is that with the short, light barrel it has a lot of muzzle jump and is a bit of a handful to shoot. Kinda gets your attention.

Myron