629 back from S&W

Diggers

I posted a while back about fired shells getting stuck in the cylinder of my 629 and binding it up. I sent it back the second time for the same problem a week ago. It came back today with a new cylinder. No explination just " replaced cylinder" on a sheet of paper.
Having a new cylinder seems like a good thing, unless it was poorly made and has problems also. I will have to take it out to the range and put 100 rounds though it to find out.
Overall I feel good that it was replaced, it seems like the right thing for S&W to do.

Ozzieman

I remember your post from before

I talked to the gun smith that I trust about it and he came up with several possibilities but they all would effect the shape of the case and would be easily noticeable. He showed me a Blued 29 that he is replacing the cylinder that the owner said he had the same problem with only one chamber and the reason was he had ballooned one chamber with an over loaded hand load. You could look down the chamber and see the expansion about 2/3?s down. Also the case would show the same shape.
And I disagree with many that wrote answers that the cylinder needed oil to function properly, I dont other than what?s left from cleaning.
Since that was not your problem I still wonder. If I were you I would contact Smith and request an answer to WHY the cylinder was replaced.

Diggers

Yeah, I will ask why they replaced it, although I have a feeling I won't get a real answer. Probably the response will be some thing about the gun being in twice for the same problem so they just replace the part. (and avoid spending time finding the true problem.)
Well obviously the problem its not due to too much oil or they would not have replaced the cylinder. I am guessing it was just made poorly and thus it was just "off" enough that the shells could lodge in there when the gun was warm.