629-2 Mountain: Junk or Jewel?

frontlander

Hi. I have the opportunity to purchase a NIB 629-2 Mountain Gun .44 mag. This gun is from the original 1989 production run. I am somewhat concerned that this model does not include the strength enhancements of the more recent production Smiths. Is this a non-issue or should I stick with a newer model Mountain Gun? What exactly will happen when I fire a 240 gr. bullet at 1200 fps in this gun? How many rounds will it take before the gun starts to fall apart? Does this model have any advantages over the later Smiths? Someone mentioned that the hammer mounted firing pin is more desireable than the frame mounted pin. Why? Some have suggested that the actions on -1s and -2s are better than the -4,-5,-6. Fact or fiction?

Hammer mounted firing pin give a more positive ignition of the primer. There is a claim that it also requires 20% less spring tension, which translates to a easier trigger pull. I've got both systems and can't tell.

There is nothing wrong with the 629-2 guns. True, they do not have a modern enhancements. But, the problem mainly surrounded silhouette shooters that were pushing hot loads in mass quantities. The average gun will never see that. My 629-2 shoots fine, it's tight and shoots a occasional hot load or two. No problem.

S&W629classic.JPG

Robert

RiverRider

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if the price is right and it's in nice shape. But, be sure that you understand that the Mountain Gun's recoil will be noticably sharper than the standard M-29, enhancements or no enhancements! I thought that the one I fired was downright unpleasant to shoot, but that was a 100-round plinking session. For backpacking or personal defense, I would feel good and secure packing one.

frontlander

I have shot Mountain Gun's before. 240 gr. bullets at 1400 fps make the little gun downright obnoxious. But I found 260 gr. bullets at 1100 fps to be stiff but not unpleasant. I think I'll load it mainly with a WFN cast lead bullet in the 260 to 270 range at around 1100 fps. Would this load beat my gun to death? My price for the gun will be in the lower $400s.

Ledbetter

Jewel

Greetings,

I recently acquired a 629-2 4" tapered barrel .44 Magnum in a trade. It doesn't say Mountain Gun on the side because they hadn't started putting that on the barrels yet.

This stainless steel gun was filthy when I purchased it and had obviously been shot a lot. It cleaned up beautifully. The cylinder-bore gap is the same as an almost new J-Frame and it shoots one (great big) hole groups at 25 yards. The front and rear sights had become very loose from shooting and that is being repaired even as I write this.

If you're concerned, practice with .44 special loads and save the magnums for shooting bears or impressing the crowd at the range with the noise.;)

Regards.