625 vs 610...... pros / cons of each??

RustyRP

ok -
both take an auto pistol round on moon clips,
both are N frames
both can be loaded down considerably if needed
both can be loaded up (perhaps not so much the 625) if needed

the 625 might be good with 45 super and has cheaper full moon clips

the 610 can shoot full pressure 10mm all day long and can shoot cheaper 40 SW ammo if you need to

I have a 3" 625, how do I justify to the family accountant (my wife) getting a 3 or 4 inch 610? especially considering that she'll say its exactly the same gun!

well now, the thought just occurred to me that I could get a 3" 610 and she might never realize that it is new/different than the 3" 625 ;)

41magFan

First, Robert41magfan, I swear I didn't steal your moniker, I am a serious .41 mag shooter. Second, I too was faced with this tough decision so I bought both. The secret to my household is, as long as I can get the gun in the house...I've had it for years. But if she catches me with it between my truck and the house, I better think of something pretty quick or I'm toast. Get both and damn the torpedos!

mikey357

I'm with 41magFan--get 'em both!!! Seriously, I've got FOUR 625's of various configuration, and ONE 610...and I'll pick up another of either any time I can find one at a decent price...they're BOTH great guns!!!....mikey357

Intel6

Since you already have the 625 I say go with the 610. I have a 1955 Target and two 625's (3"& 5") and finally found a 6.5" 610. That thing is great and I now want the 3' to go with my 3' 625 and my 3" 629.

If you go with the 610 you have one of each. If you don't you will always wonder about it and still want it anyway. Get the 610 and satisfy your urge.

It good to see other 41 Magnum aficionados! Welcome by the way.

Could not make up my mind either, so I got them both and they kind of began to breed.

S&w40&45.jpg

missing in this picture is another 625 that is getting a face lift.

Robert

mobias

I am prejudiced in favor of the 10mm cartridge. I have two 610s- 1 6" and 1 3". I am currently trying to swallow my pride and order the 4" version. I hate what S&W did, but the 610s-any of them- are in my honest opinion the ultimate in revolvers. Ample power without punishing yourself or the gun. The 10mm and the N frame are a perfect match. You won't regret it.

mikey357

Okay, Robert--I see two 610's, with the unfluted cylinders...a 625...a 646...but what's the one with the shortest barrel? Wouldn't be a three-inch 625, would it? One of the "1989" guns?....mikey357

Anthony

Robert,

What kind of mount are you using on that six inch Smith & Wesson to mount that dot sight?

- Anthony (five .41 Magnums and counting)

Stoic

Rusty,

I would have to vote for the 610. The 10mm round is a modern jack-of-all trades and a reloader's dream. It can be loaded down to .40 S&W levels or loaded up to rocket hunting levels with 200g bullets. And, as you pointed out, the 610 can use the ever available .40 S&W. In the "N" frame, there is very little recoil with either load. It is also extremely accurate and is a flat shooting round with greater range than the .45acp. These are the reasons that I chose the 610 over the 625. However, I also want a 625 and will eventually get one. I bought the 610 first because it is my fear that the 610 might be discontinued, shorting the supply of existing 10mm revolvers and increasing their market price, if and when S&W declares bankruptcy.