60th Anniversary: Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

applesanity

Which I argue is the most significant of small arms for combat, in the 20th century. Its design philosophies, impact, and staggering usage... When you think assault rifle, arms of paramilitary groups, rebels, "freedom fighters," terrorists, kids in armies, there is only the AK-47. You can treat it like the evil stepmother does Cinderella, and it will still shoot.

Or says Yuri Orlov,

Of all the weapons in the vast soviet arsenal, nothing was more profitable than Avtomat Kalashnikova model of 1947. More commonly known as the AK-47, or Kalashnikov. It's the world's most popular assault rifle. A weapon all fighters love. An elegantly simple 9 pound amalgamation of forged steel and plywood. It doesn't break, jam, or overheat. It'll shoot whether it's covered in mud or filled with sand. It's so easy, even a child can use it; and they do. The Soviets put the gun on a coin. Mozambique put it on their flag. Since the end of the Cold War, the Kalashnikov has become the Russian people's greatest export. After that comes vodka, caviar, and suicidal novelists. One thing is for sure, no one was lining up to buy their cars.

As for design philophy, it's pretty much the un-M16. Loose tolerances, dirt cheap, low tech, easy to manufacture and easier to operate and service. Sure, the M16 is more accurate, but come on - an AK is 5 MOA, and your head is most certainly wider than 5 inches. As Mikhail Kalashnikov says, "Best is the enemy of good enough."

What Picatinny rails?

Not every country's industry has the standards and training capable of producing and operating an M16 or G36 or AUG or SA80. But a bunch of unpaid pinko peons can cobble together a gun that is older than my father and still just as effective in engagements as it has ever been. Hate it or love it, you still have to respect it.

100+ million sold and still going.

Travelling through some dangerous third-world country caught in civil war? It's the "African credit card." Don't leave home without it.

Here's to another 60 years of insurgencies, freedom fighters, mayhem, guerrillas, and wanton violence.

800px-Flag_of_Hezbollah.svg.png

Last edited:

Wild Horse

Here's a Vodka going down for Mike Kalashnikov, a Hero of the Soviet Union, an Honored Veteran of WWII, an ally, a great tank mechanic and a fantastic arms designer.

applesanity

I've never had any Kalashnikov vodka. You know, the man never got any royalties from his invention. At any rate, he has stated that he wished he invented a lawnmower instead.

Limeyfellow

I've never had any Kalashnikov vodka. You know, the man never got any royalties from his invention. At any rate, he has stated that he wished he invented a lawnmower instead.

Sadly thats how many weapons inventors have thought through the years. A good example would be Richard Gatling who invented it for the idea that it would end war as people would find it was too costly.

Crap... I forgot how to say "happy birthday" in Russian.

I would say "fruhlichte geburtstag", but the rumors of the AK being copied from the kraut sturmgewehr seem to be baseless.

Someone needs to bring Mr. Kalashnikov over and build an American firearms company around him. I bet he still has a few more designs left in him...

hoytinak

Yeah I had to order a couple of cases of ammo to celebrate. I own seven 47's and two 74's. I've always thought the original AK47 was the most beautiful rifle ever. ;)

Wild Horse

I loved the interview with Gene Stoner and Mike Kalshnikov sitting side by side. Very interesting conversation.

DWARREN123

Very good for what it is. But not a weapon, in some situations, for soldiers who know how to handle the higher tech equipment.
It does what it is suppose to do and you can not ask more of anything or anybody.