$6000 Rifle

N00b_Shooter

I made another topic about a TRG 42 in 300 Win Mag recently, it came with a Nightforce NXS 12-42x56 scope, two mags, detachable bi-pod, muzzle break and heavy duty travel/storage case, it had only fired 100 rounds and it was selling 4 for $6000AU.

Alot have people have said its a good deal but said theres many other options for that kinda money. I'm not rich so saving money would be great but i will go to about $5000, if it goes above $5000 then i would just get the TRG.

So what would every body else suggest? Must include Optics as i only have a few old Leupolds 10x. It will be mostly used for target shooting at 600-1000 meters but maybe some roo shooting aswell, i would prefer a rifle with a tactical feel, caliber suggestions would be nice also.

Thanks all

overkill556x45

I've got a Savage 10FCP HS Precision (bought before the Horiuci episode) in .308Winchester. I get 1/2" groups at 100yds most of the time. The worst group with my hand loads was 1.1" shot by a guy who had never shot a centerfire rifle before. Out of the box, my savage has the Law Enforcement Accutrigger (goes down to 1.5lbs instead of 2.5lbs) free floated barrel, HS Precision stock, and aluminum bedded. Everything you need for long range work.

Picture+077.jpg

I have a Millett TRS-1 4-16X50mm scope on Warne rings and one piece base on mine. All together, it cost about $1100 (including Harris 6-9" bipod and Blackhawk sling).

I have only shot my Savage at 200yds, but just found one in my area that goes to 400yds. I regularly get 1/2MOA results with 175gr Sierra MatchKing and 168gr SMK's (the 168grs shoot a bit better, but not much). The .308 Winchester is economical to shoot and especially to reload for. From what I've heard, it doesn't hold up to the .300 Win Mag at 1000yds, but if you're just punching holes in paper, I wouldn't worry about it.

The TRG and Blasers in that price range would probably outshoot my Savage, but probably wouldn't put it to shame.

In the last post you indicated you started shooting 3 months ago. I would get more experience with the sport before laying out $5000 for a rifle.

Not the super high precision of you other options, but Ron Smith could set you up with an m25 "whitefeather" type M14 on an LRB receiver that is just an absolutely amazing rifle at a little less. I think it would probably draw more looks at the range, and when people realized Ron Smith put it together for you they would be very jealous.

On super high precision, I would go with a Savage all weather rifle to build off of. I am not sure what smith would be best, but I am sure there is someone out there who specializes in custom builds. It won't be the best, but it will be pretty good you probably won't outgrow it and if you do you can use it as a knock around rifle.

Last edited:
If you won't to hang it on the wall in a climate controlled box, by all means get one of those. If you want to fire it off of a bench, the ground, a log, etc. what a mistake.

I still loved the link. If i ever hit the lotto I will buy a climate contolled box and a few of those.
I bet they are more than 10k.

kraigwy

Maybe its just me, but I dont believe you can gimic your way to good shooting. I have several target rifles I built for less then $300 bucks.

If I was gonna get into the game now, I wouldnt spend more the a grand on the rifle (including sights) and spend the other $500O on bullets down range.

As I've said before, I've seen lots of so called sub moa rifles but few cleaned targets at 600 and 1000 yards, the X-10 ring is about 2 MOA. The shooter makes the rifle, not the other way around. Here is two rifles I built, both for under $300, (not including the sights which I had. The first is a Model 70 Win, in 300 WM, my 1000 yard rifle, its a single shot. I made it that way to have a stiffer stock.
The second is a Model 700 in 308 I made for an across the course gun I put together after I got my Dist. Badge. Neither are sub min guns, both can clean the 300 yard rapid fire targets. When I get to where I can clean the 1000 yard targets I'll worry about a better shooting gun.

1000%20yd%20Rifle.jpg

P1010001.JPG

N00b_Shooter

Oh i kinda forgot to say that i am only considering the TRG because its a bargin, if i let that slide i wouldn't be getting a rifle for about a year, i have lots of other rifles that my dad ownes to practise with. this is just me finding a nice rifle so i dont feel so bad letting the TRG deal go. Also i live in Australia so American Gunsmiths are out of the question.

Thanks so far for the suggestions

Scorch

AU$6,000 is right about US$4,110 as of today. A bit steep but not bad for a real custom rifle designed for long-distance work. I am currently building a custom rifle for a customer who will end up paying close to $3000 by the time it's all done, and he thinks it's a bargain. But for a new shooter, I would follow along with the advice of these others here and say get some experience first, then move on up.

Jimro

I agree with KraigWY that you needn't spend more than 1K on a long range rifle.

I bought a used Savage 10 Tactical and upgraded the stock, trigger, and added a canted scope base and optic without tipping the budget over 1K.

But if you don't want to have to do any work yourself, consider getting a built rifle system from Georgia Precision or Patriot Arms or some Australian shop that does reputable work.

Jimro

TPAW

If your willing to spend $5,000, save yourself $4,500 and buy a Savage 10FP. Use the remainding money for ammo....;)

Last edited: