6 o clock sight picture

divil

Sometimes when I'm trying to get a perfect 6 o' clock hold on an NRA style target, I have this problem where there's a small sliver of white between the top of the front sight post and the black. Even when I move the front sight up into the black circle, there's still this thin white line. This makes it hard to know if I am holding in the same place every time.

Is that a defect of the eye, or something to do with the sights, that I can fix?

HiBC

Could be some worn bluing in an edge. I think G=96 makes a "sight black" spray can product. Shooters used to keep a carbide miners lamp in their kit.

I've seen sights smoked with a Bic lighter. Go easy on the heat.

44 AMP

Staff
It the while line is your hold, change your hold. IF it is the edge of your front sight with worn bluing and showing "white" simple, temporary fix is a Sharpie magic marker. Blacken the sight, and then see if that "white line" is still there.

Alternately, USE that white line as part of your sight picture. IF its is uniform, you can use it.

gwpercle

I've seen it too ... it's reflected light that appears as a thin "white" line to the eye .
I shot NRA Bullseye Match for about 20 years and experienced it also .
Two fixes ... Color the front sight Flat White or Flat Black .
A lot of shooters blacken the sight but I stumbled on Flat White that to my eye stands out better on a Black Bullseye Target ( Bic White-Out Correction Pen does it for me )
the secrete is the color must be Flat ... black or white so it doesn't reflect light .
Gary