6.8x51mm or 277 fury new military ammo

Shadow9mm

Been trying to read up on the new military cartridg 6.8x51mm or 277 Fury. I have always been interested in military cartridges as, in time, the ammo seems to become prevalent and inexpensive in relation to commercial cartridges. But at this point i dont buy anything i cant reload for.

I understand this is still quite new. But ant thoughts as to whether this cartridges will work with a solid brass case, or if the hybrid cases with steel bases will be reloadable? Or if the 80,000pis will tear barrels up?

Accurate shooters article
https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/6-8x51mm-sig/

Apparently the cartridge was adopted by SAAMI in 2020. Only guns chamered for it are sig rifles. But i found no dies available.

Also with the higher chamber pressures will bolt lugs and the like have to be redesigned to handle the pressure? I woukd assume rebarrreling a 308 would not be a good idea?

Last edited:

stagpanther

Looks very interesting--probably will be wildcatted into many cartridges due to the higher PSI--but I'd give it a couple years to see if it "De-grendals" and becomes more widely available/less proprietary. I suspect Sig is going to milk this one for all it can. In practical terms--though rated at 80,000 psi that means it should test to around 100,000. I have a hunch even reloading is going to be an expensive habit to feed.

std7mag

I'm not sure why the military keeps looking at the 6.8mm bore cartridges.
The 6.8 SPC didn't go far.
And essentially the Fury is a 270-308.
But with a different case material to boost pressures, and hence velocities.
I can't possably see anything going wrong once some sand or mud gets in the barrel. :rolleyes:

And yet bullet design is still falling way short in the 6.8 (.277) caliber when compared to all the other calibers out there.

Will the military actually go through with it? Who knows!
But we aren't going to ever see the millions of dollars the government spent in researching it.

Shadow9mm

I'm not sure why the military keeps looking at the 6.8mm bore cartridges.
The 6.8 SPC didn't go far.
And essentially the Fury is a 270-308.
But with a different case material to boost pressures, and hence velocities.
I can't possably see anything going wrong once some sand or mud gets in the barrel. :rolleyes:

And yet bullet design is still falling way short in the 6.8 (.277) caliber when compared to all the other calibers out there.

Will the military actually go through with it? Who knows!
But we aren't going to ever see the millions of dollars the government spent in researching it.
From my reading they had 6.8 as their ideal diameter and a specific bullet weight in mind. And built the cartridge and gun around that projectile. I would love to know the why behind that. But i have not found the answer yet.

stagpanther

There's been some new very high BC .277 projectiles issued in the last few years--kinda depends on the what the chamber and magazine allow I would guess.

std7mag

They are gonna have to do a LOT of testing!
Don't need another M16 in Vietnam debacle!!
I still occassionally see AR15s jam at the range.

Need to make them idiot proof. And test in all climates.
Sand, snow, mud.

If you doubt me, just look at a claymoor mine.
"This side towards enemy".

ed308

What do think they been doing for the last five years? Testing. The decided on the caliber, pressure and etc only after extensive testing of many different calibers. They wanted a caliber that would penetrate the body armor at distance and expected to be seen on future battlefields. Think Russia or China. Sig won the contract. No surprise since they make quality firearms. They’ll be testing the caliber and Sig’s equipment for probably another five to ten years. Same for the scope.

Kudos to our military for planning ahead for future battles. Innovation on the battlefield is never cheap. Take the B-29’s development during WWII. One of the most extensive and expensive programs during that war.. Cost more than even the Manhattan project. Could we have defeated Japan without B-29? Maybe. But it would’ve extended the war by years, cost more money and lives. Well worth the three billon dollars spent to develop it.

std7mag

Oh, the same Sig quality that if a soldier drops their pistol, it goes off?

THAT same Sig quality??!!

FrankenMauser

std7mag fears change.
:D

I have a hunch even reloading is going to be an expensive habit to feed.
.277 Fury runs lower pressure, in standard cases. Shouldn't be too bad, for now.
But once the multi-piece cases hit the commercial market, special dies will probably be required to prevent case separation -- like with the 9mm currently out there.

GeauxTide

Chose the 280 over the 270 because of the PLETHORA of projectiles. Chose the 6.5 Grendel over the 6.8 SPC because of the projectiles. Of course, we are talking about a government operation, so history and logic goes out the window.

FrankenMauser

When the plan involves manufacturing bullets by the BILLIONS for ammunition, you don't have to worry about the bullet selection on the shelves of someone's local sporting goods store. :rolleyes:

RC20

I am amzaed at the lack of being informed on the subject.

1. 6.5 to 6.8 mm is the sweet spot for BC and range. Every time they looked at a replacment cartide (Pre WWII and the intial M1) and the Brits, pre WWI and post WWII, it was a .270 caliber as the ideal caliber.

2. The Army dictated the 6.8 projective, it could just as weaily been a 6.5. What its BC is I do not know, have not seen the bullet fuly revelated. But it will recch out 1000 yards.

3. This Neg Gen Gun is not just a gun, its a package. Silencer, Fire Quaiqition group tht does wind, humidty, laser range finder. 800-1000 yards eaisly doable for a standae infatyr grunt.

4. As its a gas piston (short storke aka gas tapet) it has a folding stock. Ergo, you mainain a decent length barrel for velocitgy.

5. No standard gun is going to deal with that 80,000 psi. But the civilian cartrides does not have to be loaded up tht high (have not tried to check on the Civie round vs the military). I don't een know if the civlian round is the same as miltarly, proabaly not.
Military is about armor penetration, Civie of course we are hunting or target.

6. No you cannot reload it. That said there is no reason with lower pressure you can't have a 308 full brass hull necked down to 6.8 (and reduced pressure)

7. Sig set this up so that any of the new NG Gen Rifles or the SAW replacement can be converted to 7.62 NATO with and barrel change.

8. Their 338 Noma Machine gun acualy has the ability to have a 7.62 NATO barrel put on (and easy other mod for extractor bolt head) so they can practice with lighter ammo.

9. The new NG Rifle has been extensively tested and they will continue to test it and improve it if founded necessary. Lesson learned that the initial ammo and gun is all Sig as is the Silencer. The Fire Acquisition group is not (Vortex) but it mounts on a rail. You can still mount any optic you want on it as needed.
I don't think that all infantry need the 2.5 lb Fire Acquisition Group but that is the current plan.

10. As noted by many Sand Box vets, they rarely use full auto, semi auto is the norm and the Sig has nigh marks there. Its more accurate and further out and we are no longer in the insane mad minute of Viet Nam. Yep, fire off all your ammo and get overrun, great move.

std7mag

@FrankenMauser
Oh, i don't mind change.
Just don't care for all the hype & blowing smoke up my skirt. ;)
How many years ago was it that 338 LM was all you heard about on here?
Then the 6.5 Manbun. Shooting flies off T-REX at 3 miles.

Sorry, but i've had a dim view of Sig products since the 80's.
MD State Police switched over to Sig 9mms.
Watched a cop put a round through the wall of his office by using the decocker.

Actually waiting on my reamer & headspace gauges to do a 25 RCM & 7mm RCM.

ed308

As of August, 2018 all Sig P320 are drop safe. Sig also issue a voluntary recall program to fix all P320 previously sold and to make them drop safe. How would you have preferred Sig handle the situation? Maybe like how Remington handled their problem with the 700 rifle? No thanks.

RC20

Sorry, but i've had a dim view of Sig products since the 80's.
MD State Police switched over to Sig 9mms.
Watched a cop put a round through the wall of his office by using the decocker.

That is the reason I point my de-cocker be it the Walther or Sig at the floor or ground when I use it. Mechanical devices can fail. If you don't have a safe place to point the gun then why was it cocked?

As for 6.8, all studies down have always shown that 6.5 to 6.8 had the ideal combo for range. Lethal affect is a mute between 5.56 and 30 cal as the military uses bullet intended to penetrate armor. They would be better off with options depending on who they are shooting at.

I got into the 6.5 x 47 a couple years back and I like it a lot. Shoot about 2/3 or my rounds with that now. I don't use the range but its a good split between itty bitty 223 and the 308/06 cartridges . I skipped the 338 LM though.

Interesting topic. There are actually a good number of guns made that could handle the 80 kpsi MAP, but conventional steel barrel throats won't last long running at that pressure. The higher pressure M855A1 round has already shown more rapid barrel wear even with chrome-lined barrels.

There is some information on the thinking behind the caliber choice in this article.

Jim Watson

Somebody must be reading Jack O Connor. Lol

Going back to the 6.8 SPC there was a story going around that the project manager was a staunch .270 WCF hunter and pushed for that exact caliber in lieu of 6.5 or 7mm that would probably work as well with equal development. Looks like his opinion stuck through another generation of ammo.

I am amzaed at the lack of being informed on the subject.

Me, too. Like right here.

1. 6.5 to 6.8 mm is the sweet spot for BC and range. Every time they looked at a replacment cartide (Pre WWII and the intial M1) and the Brits, pre WWI and post WWII, it was a .270 caliber as the ideal caliber.

No, the .276 Pedersen, 280 Enfield, and .280 EM2 rounds were true 7mm, .284" bullets or maybe even a couple thou larger in the English designs.

2. The Army dictated the 6.8 projective, it could just as weaily been a 6.5. What its BC is I do not know, have not seen the bullet fuly revelated. But it will recch out 1000 yards.

The bullet design is out there. The Army provided projectiles to be loaded by the three vendors in their own proprietary cartridges.

3. This Neg Gen Gun is not just a gun, its a package. Silencer, Fire Quaiqition group tht does wind, humidty, laser range finder. 800-1000 yards eaisly doable for a standae infatyr grunt.

Well, the gun and ammo will do it, I don't know about the grunt behind the fancy gear. 1000 yards is not easy on a square range with the best of equipment, in the field under counterattack, I doubt that much individual effective range.

4. As its a gas piston (short storke aka gas tapet) it has a folding stock. Ergo, you mainain a decent length barrel for velocitgy.

No you don't. The MG has a 16" barrel and the rifle 13", which is why chamber pressures are greater than any previous round to get the velocity the Army wants.

5. No standard gun is going to deal with that 80,000 psi. But the civilian cartrides does not have to be loaded up tht high (have not tried to check on the Civie round vs the military). I don't een know if the civlian round is the same as miltarly, proabaly not.
Military is about armor penetration, Civie of course we are hunting or target.

6. No you cannot reload it. That said there is no reason with lower pressure you can't have a 308 full brass hull necked down to 6.8 (and reduced pressure)

Commercial ammo is cataloged with a FMJ in brass at conventional pressure, and a match bullet in "hybrid" cases at elevated pressure (and price.) So SIG figures their commercial rifles will handle it. I have not seen anything in mass media about reloading the hybrid.

7. Sig set this up so that any of the new NG Gen Rifles or the SAW replacement can be converted to 7.62 NATO with and barrel change.

You could, but the procurement is swinging the other way, there is a project to study rebarreling M240s to 6.8.

8. Their 338 Noma Machine gun acualy has the ability to have a 7.62 NATO barrel put on (and easy other mod for extractor bolt head) so they can practice with lighter ammo.

9. The new NG Rifle has been extensively tested and they will continue to test it and improve it if founded necessary. Lesson learned that the initial ammo and gun is all Sig as is the Silencer. The Fire Acquisition group is not (Vortex) but it mounts on a rail. You can still mount any optic you want on it as needed.
I don't think that all infantry need the 2.5 lb Fire Acquisition Group but that is the current plan.

I think a lot of that gadgetry will be left off by all but the DMR types.

10. As noted by many Sand Box vets, they rarely use full auto, semi auto is the norm and the Sig has nigh marks there. Its more accurate and further out and we are no longer in the insane mad minute of Viet Nam. Yep, fire off all your ammo and get overrun, great move.

Note that the original project was for the MG, the rifle added on. Certainly a belt fed LMG/SAW is meant for full auto.

RC20

Jim:

No, the .276 Pedersen, 280 Enfield, and .280 EM2 rounds were true 7mm, .284" bullets or maybe even a couple thou larger in the English designs.

That is a serious nit pick. 6.5 has long been a standard offering and there is about zip point diddly difference between that and 7mm. Its still the best compromise. 30-06 offered a ridiculous 2500 yard range only because of rifled machine gun use as area suppression. That went away with the mortar. Infantry still fired a 30 caliber round that could go 2500 yard when in fact with the sights they would be lucky to get 800 yards and only if it was an exceptional marksman (Sgt York anyone?) - so yes the 6.8 is in that general category. Ralityh is you have 25 caliber, 265 caliber, 30 caliber and 338 caliber , 40 caliber and 45 caliber (rifle, rifled machine guns). Yes the 8mm is in there but its not been repeated.

The bullet design is out there. The Army provided projectiles to be loaded by the three vendors in their own proprietary cartridges.

Really? And the BC is? Its all propriety (no issue with that but that goes the way of the dodo bird the first combat use). Wow, amazing something.

Well, the gun and ammo will do it, I don't know about the grunt behind the fancy gear. 1000 yards is not easy on a square range with the best of equipment, in the field under counterattack, I doubt that much individual effective range.

Anyone can shoot 600-800 yards with that setup. Marines quality on the M-16/M-4 (now M-27) at 600 yards (well beyond the effective range of the M-4)

And the other guys attacking? Again really? Its all about what range they started at. If its 1000 meters, then they are all dead by the time they get inside of 300 meters (assuming a Soviet or Chinese .24 caliber round of the 7.62 x 39)

Give me that M157 Acquisition Unit and the magnification (you did read about that did you not?) and I could hit a target at 1000 yards. And as law enforcement has found out, its all about aimed fire, not blasting off 15 rounds in the general direction.

How the M157 works out in QQB? Claim is better than a ACOG. Gun is not as handy. I do think there will be some adjustment and thinking there. Possibly offering a range of barrel length that units can go all short for in city, a mix for Afghanistan patrol where it was in village and out in the country and all long for say Easter Ukraine.

Jungle warfare mostly short with some DM.

I was along side a guy the other day shooting a 30-06 with a can. Amazing. Now you can communicate. Huge advantage.

I have not seen anything in mass media about reloading the hybrid.

I missed it, you can reload it. But the point is this is not a civilian round nor is there much reason it will ever be. Its not like a 6.5 Lapua, CM or Swedish does not do the job for us. I would not put a 6.8 barrel on a standard action, the lugs still have to take the pressure. But for the military there is an advantage.

But as noted in the article, working in 80k pressure is not a norm for most powders and of course, why would you want to or particularly care? The few people that go with a 6.8 will have some guidance when it gets that far.
Most of us will stay with existing.

I think a lot of that gadgetry will be left off by all but the DMR types.

Its not optional for the grunts, command may indeed decide on different doctrine as this is fielded. As I stated, it may not be needed for more than 25% (though that 25% would be incredibly effective). This is a system, from the gun to the optic to the can.
WWII had Tank Destroyers and they found a TD was used as a tank, ergo, TD Command is dumped and its all tanks. Live and learn though the TD branch did amazing work in WWII.

Note that the original project was for the MG, the rifle added on. Certainly a belt fed LMG/SAW is meant for full auto.

No it was not. They have been working on an NG rifle for a long time. Note the Marine move to the M-27.

Of course you use a machine gun in full automatic (vast majority of the time). That is why you have it. The M250 is a hell of a lot lighter than the SAW, its a hell of a lot more accurate and better at suppression. You can hit targets at 1000 yards with that Fire Optic. In theory less ammo for better affect.

The Marines can easily put the M250 Optic on their M-27's. They are not setup for cans. It still does not give them range.

But its a good comparison and test and the Marines changing doctrine in the Pacific origination, maybe the M-27 suits them better.

Army is testing, Marines have been part of it, Special Forces are involved and there is a lot in motion that we have to see where it goes.

Last edited: