6.8spc Rifle Options

amprecon

Alright, I've got the 6.8spc bug and want a rifle in that caliber pretty bad. But as I go a searchin', I find that they're all way too expensive. I've even considered the Ruger Mini-14 in 6.8spc and even they're going for around $780, so an AR based 6.8 is way beyond my reach right now.
For some reason the Mini just isn't doing it for me and want an AR style rifle, but I've never been a fan of the DI gas system and prefer the piston driven variants, but it may be the only way I can afford a 6.8 AR at all.
I've even considered selling off what I have to fund it, but just can't bring myself to do that.
Of the piston AR 6.8 rifles I really like either the XCR or the LWRC, and am leaning more towards the XCR rifle, but both are listed at over $2K.
So I guess my options are to just save up and get what I really want the XCR....that is of course, unless you guys can change my mind or convince me of other cheaper alternatives. :)

Xanatos

Arguably the best piston 6.8 SPC upper on the market right now is custom built by www.adxtactical.com

I've got one on order from them after playing with a friend's and at the time I placed the order the upper cost $1330, but I can guarantee you it'll last you a lifetime and Addax Tactical only uses the best parts on the market. My friend's 6.8 GPU he got from AT consistently gets .5 MOA or less at 250-300 meters.

VB3

I'd go XCR, or LWRC if you are enamored with the AR15 platform but want something piston based

olyinaz

The DI gas system works just fine! Save yourself a ton and get a tack driving 6.8 with a DI system. You'll be plenty happy with it.

Best,
Oly

globemaster3

What do you want the 6.8 for? This isn't an accusatory question, but one out of practicality. Do you want to hunt with it? Do you want it for "tactical" reasons?

There are other AR companies out there well below the LWRC pricepoint that make a reasonable full AR rifle or upper. Stag just offered one, I think the Model 7 Hunter, that looks nice. Model 1 Sales has them. I just bought an Olympic Arms upper in 6.8 that the fit/finish is perfect.

I echo the direct impingement sentiments. If piston ARs were so "required", then why are they a niche market? Why hasn't the DoD thrown into it? Not to say piston ARs don't work, they do. But, so do the normal ones, and have for many years.

zenmtnman

As someone who recently caught the bug, and went out and built an AR platform 6.8 for about $800 (without optics and extras), I can say I do love this round, especially since I load for it and can put anything from 95 grain to 130 grain downrange. You can mitigate DI cleanup a little bit based on powder choice, but the system works. The only FTF I've had was due to poor loading on my part. I'm running a RRA mid upper on a cmmg lower, with a basic A1 stock, and have a Nikon 1-4x20 on top mounted with a Burris PEPR. I love the platform, and love the caliber. its a good choice, but eventually I'll swap out the 1 in 10 twist barrel for a 1 in 11, as it gives it a hint more accuracy. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, and also, check out the 6.8 forums for more info than you'd ever want to know.

http://68forums.com/forums/index.php

amprecon

I would use this rifle primarily for the range but also for hunting and for tactical/defensive applications. I don't have patience for unreliability and just refuse to accept a questionably reliable platform, this is why I have always stayed away from the direct impingement gas systems. Since the AR seems to be the primary platform for the 6.8 cartridge I guess I'm just going to have to hold my nose and take the plunge with a DI gas gun as the GP guns are just way too pricey.
I prefer to not have to build a rifle and would just rather buy a turn-key gun, but there are so many different options available. I see DPMS offers one with a 20" barrel, is there any significant benefit with this barrel length or are the extra 4" not worth the extra overall length? I seem to remember reading that the reason behind the 6.8 development was to gain better performance from the shorter barrels than the .223.
So of the following manufacturers which would you go with and why? DPMS, Bushmaster, RRA, Stag Arms, Olympic Arms, and if there are other options please let me know.

iamkris

2w6ap8w.jpg

My 6.8 SPC AR build

• AeroPrecision Multi-caliber lower
  • Stag/CMT M4 upper
  • Badger Gen II TacLatch
  • RRA 2-stage NM trigger
  • VLTOR eMod stock
  • WOA 18" SS SPR profile barrel and bolt
  • PWS FSC30 flash hider / comp
  • YHM front sight
  • Brownells HK-type rear sight
  • ERGO grip
  • Magpul triggerguard
  • MI low profile gas block
  • YHM FF rifle-length quad rail handguard
  • MI sling mounts
  • EoTech 511 (soon to be swapped out for a 1-4x Millett DMS-1)
  • PRI mags
  • Now it also wears a CAA VFG and Surefire weapon light

amprecon

How do the standard front sights work with say an Aimpoint attached? Does it obstruct the sight picture? Would I be better off getting the gas block option instead?

sholling

I caught the bug a year ago and bought an AR15 Performance 6.8 SPC upper. Harrison was one one of the driving forces in fixing the mess that Remington made of the specifications. Most companies have changed chamber designs to SPEC II which mimics his DMR chamber and rifling is now 1:11 or 1:12 instead of 1:10. His upgraded 6.8 SPC (now called a 6.8x43) can fire SAAMI spec 6.8 SPC just like a 5.56 rifle can fire .223, and it can also fire the hotter SSA Tactical loads that are unsafe in older barrels.

IMG_0287a.jpg

This is my California legal 6.8x43. Conversion to free state configuration takes about 30 seconds.

AR15 Performance MK68 Recon 16" mid-length upper w/Lothar 1:11.25 polygonal rifled barrel
YHM Lightweight rail system
YHM flip up front sight with Trijicon post
Troy BUIS with tritium inserts
Burris XTR 1-4x24 Tactical scope in a LaRue mount
DoubleStar lower with Geissele trigger group
Vltor EMOD stock and Magpul grips

As for hunting Chuck Hawks rates SAAMI spec 6.8 SPC rounds fired from older SAAMI spec barrels as humane for deer sized game out to 265yds. Even better this story (with pic) from 68forums should answer your question.

Last edited:

zenmtnman

amprecon:
As for front sight with an Aimpoint or EoTech, you see it, but you don't notice much when it's down. If you mount any magnification behind those sights, you'll lose the front sight in your sight picture. A lot of people set up their rigs with a small riser for the EoTech/Aimpoint so that a flipped up front and rear sight either cowitness the dot, or are in the lower third of the window, so that there is no transition if the sight fails. I've got a Nikon 1-4x20 Monarch African scope on my 16" Mid Length RRA 6.8 SPC upper, and I've set it up two ways in the past: with a flip up front sight gas block (with the functional low profile block under the free float rifle length guard), and with a rail mounted flip up sight. Depending on the gas system length you go with, and the type of handguard you want to mount, you can go with low profile and a rail mount BUIS, or a gas block BUIS. Personally, and I have no evidence that this makes any difference, but in my poor mind, having as little as possible contact the barrel makes *me* think I'm helping it's accuracy. Though, since it's an HBAR barrel, I doubt having a flip front sight for a BUIS and a low profile gas block under the hand guard actually makes any whit of difference. No matter what, my rifle shoots better than me. =)
Here's a picture, just to make my ramblings a bit more interesting.

NSO_w/_SIG

Complete Stag 6.8 upper for $470 and a couple hundred more in the lower, lpk and stock, I have just over $700 in mine. It can be done, and Stag has the proper Spec II chambering and proper twist rate now.

I don't have patience for unreliability and just refuse to accept a questionably reliable platform

There is nothing questionable about the reliability of a good quality AR15... they will run and run and run given good magazines and ammo; but if you feel better with a gas piston, I would look at a rifle designed to be a gas piston instead of a direct-impingement rifle retrofitted with a gas system. I suspect there is a good reason why every rifle designed from the start as a gas piston doesn't use a tubular receiver with no rails for the bolt carrier.

kidcoltoutlaw

I have 3 myself

but all of mine have the original chambers. I get 2600 fps with 110's and 2280 with a 130 grain. Would the 1 in 11 be to slow for the 130 grain ? I had a bullet bounce back and hit me in the hand the other day it did not feel under powered. I took pics it looks like something from a monster movie. I have tested the 110 grain Sierra Pro hunter in the bullet test tube it expands to .750 and penetrates about 9.5 inches. It say in the book that goes with it that 8 inches will shoot through a Deer broad side,

Thanks,Keith