6.8 SPC Brass Primer Pocket Sizes

Adventurer 2

Asking for help to identify a list of 6.8 SPC brass brands and their primer pocket sizes.
I am reloading for a TC Contender. Have 50 pieces of Remington brass and was a little suprised to see that the Remington brass use a large rifle primer - my Hornady reloading manual calls for a small rifle primer (CCI 41) for 6.8 reloading.
Just wondering which brands have which sizes of primer pockets for the 6.8 SPC.

bedlamite

Remington only made large primer
SSA made both, but many more small primer
Hornady made both, but many more small primer

Large primer is capable of 50-60 fps more than small primer, but usually small primer is more accurate.

For powders look at Re7, Re10x, AA2200, H322.

Consider having your barrel reamed to the SPC2 chamber if it is still SAAMI spec.

micksis86

FWIW I got a lot better accuracy using the hornady small rifle cases. Not sure why that is that's just what i found to be the case in my particular rifle.
My Remington 700 has proven this to be a very accurate cartridge.

Adventurer 2

The 6.8 SPC is the first case that I have reloaded that comes in either large rifle or small rifle primers. Didn't expect that. I appreciate the information bedlamite. I'll have to get some updated reloading books - my Hornady book is the only one that has information on the 6.8 SPC. H322 is the only powder I have that is listed in the Hornady book.
Per the reviews, it looks like if I order Hornady 6.8 SPC brass from Midway, I will get the brass with the small rifle primer.

I don't know anything about the 6.8 SPC II. Just want to get something worked up for my SAAMI 6.8 SPC. Maybe at a later date I'll look into reaming to the 6.8 SPC II chamber.

bedlamite

The SPC2 has a longer leade, with a shallower cone angle. Cutting the chamber to SPC2 will allow 50-100 fps more velocity.

When Remington submitted the drawings to SAAMI, there was an error on the print and the cone angle was 78 degrees when it should have been 45. I never saw one, but there were reports of stripping the brass jacket off some rounds, and there were a few recalls (they recalled the bullets when they should have recalled the guns and recut the chamber)

Another anomaly is that the first runs of SSA brass had a larger volume, and the first runs of Hornady brass had a smaller volume. They have all been standard for a couple years now.