6.8 REM SPC II AR complete upper?

LDBennett

Anyone got real preferences for a complete 6.8 REM SPC II AR upper? Accuracy is important to me.

I have been looking at Rock River Arms, Model "1" Sales, SOTA, Bison. The name brand versions, like DPMS and others, seem to be out of stock. I am not inclined to wait months to get one. If it is in stock today then that's one I want.

I would prefer a barrel longer than 16 inches without a flash hider or muzzle break, a metal free floating simple forearm and in a complete unit ready to mount on my lower..In 6.8 REM SPC II. Varmint or match accuracy is desirable.

An alternative is to buy the parts but fitting the barrel and getting it head spaced is a problem for me. The rest I could easily assemble myself as I have built several AR's.

I'm seeing pricing in the $750 range (??).

Anyone got recommendation within my requirements?

Or has anyone got good or bad things to offer about Rock River Arms, Model "1" Sales, SOTA, or Bison quality, service, or whatever?

Thanks,

LDBennett

tirod

If you buy a barrel with the barrel extension on it, you don't headspace it. That is just one of the very unique differences of the Stoner design.

Mounting it is even simpler - you insert the barrel extension into the upper, screw down the nut to minimum 30 foot pounds, turn further to clear the tooth so the gas tube will insert, done.

It's not gunsmith work to install a barrel, and the builders putting together precision AR's don't do much more than what we do putting them together. They just get batches of parts done right to their requirements so they don't have to fix anything at all. We get what came in the batch and make do.

18" precision 6.8's seem to be the fashion right now, which means they are in demand. The "shooter grade" 6.8s have been displaced in the mass marketer's catalog's with .300 BO as those are the new fad. Point being the 6.8 is a cartridge for the discriminating shooter who is focused on downrange performance - and that means it's not a mass production item sitting on the shelf waiting for a speculative sale.

You might add ARP to that list - but I suspect it will result in the same thing. Not in stock because sales still exceed demand. There are other vendors and checking the sponsors at 68forums.com might help.

Last edited:

Guilty

Bison, ARP (AR Performance) and Wilson are the top names IMHO. Wilson 6.8 Recon 18" upper is in stock although I personally prefer the 16" upper, cost looks to be $1295.00 for a complete upper.

globemaster3

I own some Olympic Arms uppers configured in the K68 modified with railed gas block and free float tube and K16. The K68 is a good shooter. See my post in The Hunt for its handiwork. As for the K16, I am working on outfitting it with scope and bipod in the future before I field it.

hodaka

I see Stag 20 inch uppers for $500 pretty regularly. Have you checked Palmetto Arms or JT distributing?

dean1818

I went with a Bison 6.8 and couldnt be happier

Its accurate and reliable

Call Ben, he is a good "joe"

Deano

Crazy Carl

Ditto on the Bison. My 18" SPR is a tack driver. Love that gun. Thinking hard about ponying up for a SBR stamp & will go back to Bison for their 11.5".

amprecon

Ditto on the above replies. I bought a RRA LAR-6 and swapped out the stock barrel it came with, it was a 1/10 six groove heavy profile 16" barrel. I went with a melonite 16" scout profile barrel from AR Performance, it's a 5 groove 1/11.25 twist barrel, accuracy is slightly better, but the weight difference was the biggest gain for me.
Then I bought a DPMS A3 Lite in .223 and converted it to 6.8spc, ARP was out of readily available barrels as I wanted the same barrel on both rifles, but Bison Armory had a 16" scout profile black stainless 4 groove 1/11 twist I went with and it has performed as well as the ARP.

I agree with the others as how easy it is to swap barrels, then all you need is 6.8 mags and your good to go.