6.8 Rem SPC and the AR-15

WeedWacker

From what I have been reading and what I can find, it seems the 6.8 x 43 SPC is similar in length overall as the 5.56x45. If I had a 6.8 SPC upper would I need a lower designed for it as well? Or could I use a standard 5.56x45 lower?

WeedWacker

How different are 6.8 mags from regular STANAG mags? is it some odd protrusion on one side (or lack thereof), different bend in the mag, or is it the follower?

bigjack59

It is basically the follower. A high quality .223 magazine will work if you don't load it all th eway full. I usually put about 18-20 6.8 in a 30 rd mag and it works fine. But to be sure it is best to invest in the 6.8 mag.

The carbine length uppers will have a LOUD bang for sure, but recoil is really nothing. It is a tremendous round, more than capable of killing deer. I have a M4 Bushmaster upper and put it on a stag arms lower I had, no problem whatsoever. The 6.8 is a GREAT round.

HorseSoldier

Primarily the follower, like bigjack59 said. I've also read that aluminum mags won't tolerate being loaded to full capacity with 6.8 Rem SPC rounds. I use steel 25 round 6.8 mags from PRI with my 6.8 set up and they run just fine -- bit pricy compared to USGI aluminum of Magpul P-Mags, though (similar cost to steel HK mags).