6.5X55 Swede loads?

Wyosmith

Hello to all.
I am doing a little compilation of data and I would like to ask any 6.5X55 shooters (only) to give me the load or loads they have had the best accuracy from.
Please also include what barrel and twist it was shot through, as best you can tell me, or recall.

Thanks.
:)

zeke

It's been awhile, but remember using RL-22 with Hdy 129 and 140 gn spirepoints in Win M70 fw and CZ model 550 to get 3 shot hunting groups 3/4 to 1.5 moa. May have tried some 140 gn Sierra hpbt's in the CZ, but would have to look it up. Both are hunting rifles and didn't spend any time shooting statisticool groups. Did not think the loads were appropriate for M96 actions, but ain't a metallurgist.

Bought a free floated stock for the CZ and was planning on shortening the lop, but it became de-prioritized. Am thinking 6.5x55 has a slight edge in the umph department over 6.5 cm, especially if loaded to the same pressures.

Last edited:

FITASC

When I had mine (it was a 1907), I got good accuracy with 3031 and 4064 and Sierra 120s and Sierra 140s. Mine had a short carbine length barrel (guess it had been sporterized)

Heavy Metal 1

I have excellent accuracy w/ Nosler Custom Competition 140gr w/ IMR 4831, Sierra 142gr over H380, IMR 4831 under Hornady 140gr Interlocks. In that order. Results w/ 120gr bullets of any type were unsatisfying. I shoot a military 6.5 swede & they have been bored for 140-160gr bullets.

SHR970

Are you intending to load for a mil / mil sporter or commercial action? It makes a big difference.

I've only got four.....2X 96 (1917&1918), 1x96 Sporterized(1916), 1X AG42B. Loaded for a friend that has a Tikka. The Tikka has a shorter freebore and thus required a different work up.

hodaka

Just have a !914 Carl Gustaff 96/38 with the original war shortened barrel. I get all the accuracy that I can see (European military sights are far short of the US). That said, I shoot a mild load of 4064 with 140 Sierra and Noslers. Minute of clay pigeon @ 100yds makes me smile.

44 AMP

Staff
Speer 140gr (the plain vanilla cup and core bullet), loaded normally (just short of max listed COAL, no chasing the lands here!)

IMR 4320 , 42gr R-P cases CCI 200 primer (Lyman factory duplication load)

dime size 3 shot groups at 100, rings the 400yd gong with the ladder sight all the way DOWN...;)

M96 long rifle, 1917 date
don't know the twist off the top of my head, sorry.

Nathan

I’m interested from a commercial action point of view. Something that launches a 140gr bullet at 2700-2800 fps from a 24” barrel. What do you have?

Nathan

.264 Winchester Magnum....

It looks closer to 2900-3000....too much.

At 46000 CUP, it can get to 2650fps....it is not the round that holds it back....it is the load data made for rifles from the 1800’s that holds us back.

44 AMP

Staff
.264 Winchester Magnum....
It looks closer to 2900-3000....too much.

So, don't load it so hot. :D

A quick check of two old books shows starting loads with the 140gr in the 26-2700fps range, and max loads hitting 2900 with a couple making 3000fps, from 24" barrels.

At 46000 CUP, it can get to 2650fps....it is not the round that holds it back....it is the load data made for rifles from the 1800’s that holds us back.

some of us are shooting those "1800s" rifles or close to them. I have a 1917 Carl Gustav Swede, and an 1897 Norwegian Krag in 6.5x55mm, and am not looking to "upgrade" their performance past what they will stand.

If you want a new modern action in 6.5Swede, so you can load it up to what the rifle will take, go ahead. As long as that ammo can't get into a 95 Mauser action or other "1800s" gun, its all good. But if there's a chance, its better to choose a different cartridge case, say 6.5mm-06 or .264Win. No point wrecking an old rifle for a handful of fps.

Nathan

@44AMP

I totally respect your desire to own and shoot a Swedish Mauser, Krag, etc. Great, fun rifles. I own and shoot an M1 Garand. Of course I have to find M1 Garand data to enjoy this rifle. Do all 30’06’s need to be downloaded due to Garand popularity?

Therefore, since I would estimate that a 6.5x55 Swede could hit 3000 FPS+ at normal pressures, I would just like to see a +p version or hotter data for the newer Ruger, CZ, Winchester, custom rifles.

The data exists, but is just online. There are literally folks posting load +2 grains to the Hodgdon page. Why do I have to take that risk instead of a company publishing safe, pressure tested, modern rifle data like 30’06, 45-70, 257 Roberts, 5.56vs223, 45 Colt, etc?

The 6.5x55 should perform close to the 6.5’06!

When I get to that point, I plan to ladder test from low to hot until I get pressure signs before load development looking for pressure issues. I need to think through the test method. I’m thinking 2 shots per charge weight....maybe 15-20 charge weights.

Last edited:

SHR970

Nathan,

If you want to boost up for a commercial action use Norma Data and find out what MRP is when imported into the US. Load as long a C.O.L. as the magazine / leade will allow and work up.

44 AMP

Staff
I had a friend who loved the Swede round, he got a Winchester 670 and had it rebarreled for the Swede. He wasn't into pushing the Swede to the capacity of that rifle (but he could have) he just wanted a nice modern rifle in 6.5x55mm.

I own and shoot an M1 Garand. Of course I have to find M1 Garand data to enjoy this rifle. Do all 30’06’s need to be downloaded due to Garand popularity?

When you run a machine that is built to run on a certain fuel, you get the best results using that fuel. Using other fuel may be possible, and may even be dangerous if its too far from what the machine is built to handle.

You don't get good results putting diesel in a Chevy Corvette, or jet fuel in a deuce and a half.

Why do I have to take that risk instead of a company publishing safe, pressure tested, modern rifle data like 30’06, 45-70, 257 Roberts, 5.56vs223, 45 Colt, etc?

Because what you are looking for is a small niche, and none of the companies publishing reloading data have found that niche interesting or profitable enough to run the tests and publish that data. Yet.

You mentioned .45-70 and .45 Colt. Fine rounds, with different levels of load data available today for the different strength guns. But the data only came about because enough people were buying both older guns and newer stronger modern designs (think Rugers). Guys experimenting on their own, and publishing their results in magazine articles eventually generated enough interest that the "big boys" did their own work and created new sections in their loading manuals for Ruger" and "Contender" loads.

If you could get enough people interested in 55-60,000 psi level 6.5 Swede loads, in suitable modern actions, eventually there will be tested published data. Until then, you're kind of on your own. You have a tremendous advantage today that we didn't have in the old days, the Internet, and forums like this one.

One other point to consider, no matter what data someone else publishes as "safe, pressure tested" etc., There's no guarantee that it will be safe in YOUR gun. It probably will be, but there's no guarantee. Your gun, and your components will be slightly different from what was used generating the published data. They could be very different. Probably not, but could be, so that's why we always start low and work up in our gun with our components.

When you go "off the map" its up to you to blaze the trail.
a lot of the great rounds we have today wouldn't be here, if no one had done that..

zeke

Nathan-The following is greater than current manuals, use at own risk after working up.

From 1996 "Reloaders guide for Alliant smokeless powders", 6.5x55
case=Norma, bullet = Speer 140 spitz, col=3.000, primer = CCI 200, barrel=24 in
48.1 grains RL 22 for 2700 fps, 44,400 cup

From zeke's old notes, almost 15 yrs ago fwiw
48.0 gns rl-22, Win case, Fed 210 primer, col = 3.035, avg velocity = 2740 fps from Win fw with 22 in barrel. The test target was 3 shot group less than 1 moa.

Nathan

Thanks Zeke.....Are you warning me about using 44000cup data?

Anyways, sounds like it ran well for you.

zeke

Just the standard warning when someone looks at the new online Alliant data and remarks it is lower. While cup doesn't equal psi, there is still lots of cup pressures available for other calibers that are well above 44,400. Pretty sure RL-22 and Norma' MRP are similiar/if not the same.

Differing lots of RL-22 used to be known to vary considerable.

Last edited:

ligonierbill

I've been away from my data for awhile, but I can't resist a discussion of the old Swede. I have had good luck (1" group) with both 140 SGK and 160 Hornady RN over Reloder 22. These are out of a Brownell's $86 24" 1:9 barrel installed on a FN Mauser action. I also have a Carl Gustafs Mauser M96 with the original barrel that does very well with 142 SMK, also over Re-22. From what I read, that twist should be 1:200mm (7.87"). My notes say 1 1/4", but that's with open sights. So maybe I was lying to myself. Also have seen good performance from 120 Nosler BT and 130 AB, but not quite as good as the heavier bullets.

asmotj

With a Modern Barrel and 98 Large ring what kind of CUP Pressures could we really get to? The 63kpsi in the CR should be easily attainable with modern action and barrel... right?