6.5x55 revisted?

Biathlonman

Does anyone have any advice on the 156gr. Norma Oryx bullet and Reloader 22 powder?

I really like the idea of heavy bullets in this caliber for big game hunting, but can't find any reloading data. I was hoping someone with experience can get me up and running. Looking at the 160gr. Hornady RN it looks like I could start with about 44gr and then work up, but I was looking for something solid.

Thanks for the info!

Cain R

I've been playing around with the 6.5x55 in the M96 for about 10 years and just within the last year with a 6.5 Tikka.

I tried just about every load combo with RL-22 (my favorite for 140 gr) and the Hornady 160gr RN but just couldn't find a good load. Then I switch to IMR-4350 and the groups got really small.

OAL 3.020"
IMR-4350
Remington Case
Fed 210 Primers

38.5grs @ 100yds .595"
40.5grs @ 100yds .918"
42.0grs @ 100 yds .425"

I haven't bothered to chrono these loads but in the M96 there were no signs of excess pressure, and they fell quite mild compared to my 140 gr Tikka loads.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
There was a very interesting topic on 6.5x55 which ran on for a time - - -

- - - Up til a month or so back--
Check out
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97649&highlight=6.5+Swede

Oh, wait- - - Biathlonman, as I look at it, I see that you were part of that discussion. I guess it was more about lighter bullets, wasn't it?

Oh, well, anyone interested in your current question may find it worthwhile to look up the "Need for Speed" thread. It was fun. And I'd still like to have a nice 6.5 of my own. That and a .35 Whelen. And, and - - -
Oh, never mind.

Best,
Johnny

Biathlonman

Thanks for the replies!

Thanks all and keep them coming!

I also have a M96 and am looking into another 6.5x55 on a modern action. I like the idea of heavy bullets in this caliber and have found the Oryx bullets to look quite impressive, just haven't really been able to find any reloading data. Hopefully Roman Knoll or another European will jump in, as I think Norma bullets are more available and more widely used there.

I was going to get the Hornady 160s but I found the Oryx were about the same price, bonded, and have a more spitzer shape to them that should help them a little on the longer shots. Just seemed like a lot more for the money, we shall see...

Thanks again!

Tony Cam

Well, i dont have much experience with the heavy bullets but the 100 gr sierra loaded with 45 grs of h380 has gotten me as close to a one hole group as i have ever come.
I took an old m38 and had it drilled for a scope,a leupold 6x18, then i had it glass bedded into a syn stock and put in a adjustable trigger. Had the barrel recrowned and after all this , figured i might as well get it reblued just for the hell of it !!!
Great rifle and it is my 3rd swede and i love em all.
Sorry if this wasnt part of the original thread but i just wanted to mouth off a little. lol :)

Jonny5

Biatholonman,

Slow powders are the rule when dealing with heavy bullets in the 6.5x55. Reloader 22, IMR 7828 and even H870 work very well with both the 140gr and 160gr bullets in my 22" barrelled Ruger 77. On a recent rip to the range, 58grs of H870 behind a speer 140 in Remington brass yeilded an average of 2712fps and two three shot groups that measured less than 1/2 inch...

Gewehr98

Real big fan of slower powders in my 6.5x55 M96 Swede.

I alternate between AA4350 and H4831SC. I've been having lots of luck with the Hornady 160gr roundnose bullet, which is about as close as one can get to the original military bullet for the M96 Swede and it's sight settings. ;)