6.5x50mm Japanese rifle

trigger45

Saw a may see at the pawn shop today. Need info. Have loading manual but, need to know if the brass can be made from anything else? Maybe 243 or .308. It was in very good condition for $199.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunplummer

Yes, better to just buy it. At one time, I had been making it out of the smallest American made .303 British brass (Winchester). I had a lathe to do it. With out a lathe it would be really tough.

JT-AR-MG42

You can make cases out of .35 Remington.
Neck will be short, but the cases hold up to repeated fire.

It used to be an economical and viable way to feed a Type 96.
LOL with .35 Remington availability nowadays.

JT

TRX

Prvi is the way to go. I use their brass for my 7.7 Arisaka. Grafs, Natchez, Midway, and the other Usual Suspects stock it at reasonable prices.

The 6.5x50 is a *nice* cartridge, with excellent ballistics and moderate recoil. The "brass problem" kept it from being very popular, but those craaaazy Serbians have fixed that.

The 6.5x50 has been used by many countries and several guns besides the Japanese Arisaka. The Wikipedia page on the 6.5x50 is worth a look.

tahunua001

as others have said, PRVI makes the brass. Hornady makes loaded ammunition for it, but they use PRVI brass. I don't know that I've ever seen PRVI loaded ammo for 6.5x50. a couple side notes, out of a 30+ inch barrel, it performs extremely well, just shy of what most people see out of their 6.5 creedmores, but out of a carbine length barrel(roughly 20 inches), it is nearly identical to 6.5 Grendel, so it loses a ton of velocity. with that said, I love my little arisaka carbine, I got my first and only blackbear with it.

T. O'Heir

No Prvi brass available from Midway or Graf's. Norma brass runs $34.99 per 25. Ammo runs $43.99 per 20 for Norma 156 grain SP's.
6.5 Jap gets made out of .30-06. RCBS forming dies are stupid expensive. Graf's wants $57.99 for Redding.

tangolima

Gunbroker and buy-and-sell sections of different fora have the brass.

Lee sizer die tends to under size the brass, at least it is so for my t38. The old ch die set I found works much better.

My rifle has worn bore. The normal 0.264" bullets would tumble out of the muzzle. I have to use 0.267" carcano bullets. It shoots surprisingly accurate with the right bullets. Problem is carcano bullets are getting difficult to get.

-TL

emcon5

No Prvi brass available from Midway or Graf's. Norma brass runs $34.99 per 25. Ammo runs $43.99 per 20 for Norma 156 grain SP's.
6.5 Jap gets made out of .30-06. RCBS forming dies are stupid expensive. Graf's wants $57.99 for Redding.

Graffs must have just sold out, I was thinking of ordering some a week or so ago and they showed it in stock.

Graffs does show PCI ammo in stock, for ~$27/box, slightly cheaper than the Norma brass.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/164?

James K

Member In Memoriam
The only nations that actually used the 6.5x50SR, other than Japan, either bought or captured rifles or machineguns of Japanese manufacture, so its use was not really widespread and more a matter of necessity than preference. An exception was the use of the cartridge by a few Russian designers (notably Fedorov) seeking a machinegun cartridge that would be moderately effective while demanding little of the gun in the way of weight or strength. Those guns went beyond the experimental stage, but few ever saw any service.

Jim

Gunplummer

I had a handful of Kynoch 6.5x50 military ammunition and at one time the British were rumored to have used those rifles.

doofus47

The British did buy a bunch, at the start of WW1, I believe. For logistical reasons, those rifles were never front line weapons to the best of my knowledge. I believe that the Brits used some to support the White Russians and maybe sold some to the Finns?
I guess, I could go to Wikipedia up an answer of varying degrees of certainty.

Gunplummer

I just recently was looking at a foreign gun auction and there was a T-38 with Finnish National Guard (Some kind of home guard) markings up for sale. I had been into Arisakas over 40 years and never heard of that before. They do pop up at weird places.