6.5x47 Lapua in AI-AW Teaser Post

Zak Smith

norcalzak2x600.jpg

Works well with the can...

............... Larger version of above photo.

Or without the can...

I dialed the correction to obtain a 100-yard zero with this load, and thought the first shot was a complete miss. Turns out it was just in the black and invisible through the mirage. Shot #2 was in the exact same hole and I "pulled" #3 right.

The 130 VLD's shoot "OK" too.

Shooting from the bench is lame but essential for load development. After the Steel Safari match is done this weekend, I'll have time to wring it out in the field at long range.

I took some 123gr "plinker" loads to Raton for demo at a meeting, and everyone could easily hit the 10" plate @ 550.

AccurateShooter.com has a blurb here and will be reporting on this project as it progresses.

Thanks to AccurateShooter.com, Satern Barrels, GA Precision, and Lapua.

Zak Smith

What makes this interesting is I have a virtually identical setup in 260REM--

The difference is that the 260REM barrel is lighter (med palma - same as AI 26" 308 AW barrel), 26" (vs. 25.3" on the 6.5x47). I'm still waiting on my second 3-12x50mm PMII, so I'm "making do" with a 5-25x56mm stolen off the 338 Lapua for now. George did both the 260REM barrel and the 6.5x47 barrel.

The 260REM also shoots bugholes---

I can't say which is better, yet. The idea of this experiment is to work up the 6.5x47 with a load appropriate for the long-range field games, and then shoot both rifles side by side at matches, with different shooters, etc, and see what differences arise.

I am still developing loads for the 6.5x47, but I think it is safe to say that velocities achievable with the same bullets in the AW rifle will be within 30-50fps of each other, or may even end up basically identical.

The 260 is going with me to the Steel Safari this weekend, just because it's totally sorted out and has been delivering for a year. The answer I give in 3 or 4 months should be interesting.

-z

Wildalaska

Zak Im a 6.5 fruitcake, tell me what you see is the difference between this one and the 6.5x55 (which I shoot in my blaser)

WildthinkingofcustomBlaserbarrelsAlaska

ACP

Holy crap. That's some nice shooting. What are the ballistic differences, and are there any factory loads for the 6.5x47?

Zak Smith

8mm

:D

What velocities are you getting from various bullets in your x55? It seems like with the heavy, high-BC bullets (139-142gr), most 260REM shooters are getting between 2750 and 2850 in 24-26" barrels.

ACP,

Lapua will have factory 6.5x47 ammunition available later this year.

Wildalaska

Zak right now Im running 139 scenars at 2575 in deference to my M41B, I am going to bump a grain or 2 to increase it up for me Blaser

WildcantseeAlaska

Zak Smith

Wildalaska,

You should be able to get the 139's to 2800 easy in the 6.5x55 case. Try H4831SC, it seems to be the powder of choice in 6.5-08AI (which should be similar in volume to the 55).

FirstFreedom,

The 6.5x47 offers potential benefits of much better factory brass and a small primer (which increases head strength). I won't be able to conclude one way or the other for some months.

-z

Pthfndr

Wildalaska

I recently took delivery of this. Mac Tilton of Mt guns built it for me. It's in 6.5x55 with a 28" True-Flite barrel with the short throat, on a Tikka 695 (long) action. At 2900 FPS I was just starting to see signs of excess pressure (ejector left a shiny mark). At 3100 fps the primer was flat and the fp mark was beginning to crater. 2850-2900 was getting the best accuracy. I got sub 1/2 moa out to 500 yards with a no wind morning. That was with RL22. I'm still playing around with VV N560 and want to try the 4350. Maybe try magnum primers.

Tikka002.jpg

Benonymous

Niiiiiice!

Nice rifle you have there WildAlaska :) I have the same one in 6.5x55 and I have 100 graded handloads to put through it when I get the time. I just thought I'd compliment you on your exceptionally good taste in firearms :) .

Ben

BTW is that barrel trimmed at the muzzle for a brake?

Pthfndr

BTW is that barrel trimmed at the muzzle for a brake?

If you're referring to the rifle in the pic above your post, that's mine, not Wildalaska's.

The end of the barrel is turned down to .750 so I can mount aperture sights for High Power or Palma matches.

Pthfndr

Zak

A guy I shoot with built a 6.5x47 and is getting 3100 fps with the 123gr Lapua
Scenar with good accuracy out to 1000.

In your opinion, using the 6.5x55, would there be any advantage to using the 123gr and pushing it at that velocity or even faster vs. the 139/142 bullets at 2850-2900 fps?

Wildalaska

PATH PATH...RL 22? LOAD PLEASE!!!!!!!!! RL-22

Just so you know I will kick it down a bit and my OAL for the Blaser is 3.140 which will be even safer..

WildthankyouAlaska

Gewehr98

If I'm not mistaken...

The 6.5x47 will fit in AR-15/M16 magazines, and perhaps feed well in those platforms. However, the 6.5 Grendel came about because of the 6.5 PPC shoulder angle having feeding problems, but maybe the 6.5x47 won't run into that.

I was just talking to RCBS about making me a set of 6.5 SPC dies (based on the 6.8 SPC), and having Pacific Reamers making me a chambering reamer for the former. I may have to re-think that, based on what I see coming out of Zak's tests.

Just what I need, yet another 6.5mm chambering. :D

Ditto on the H4831SC for the 6.5x55. It's a favorite for the 6.5-284 gang and also my 6.5-06, giving excellent velocity with low pressures and not as temperature sensitive as other powders.

Jason_G

:confused: I made a post on here yesterday, but I don't see it. Hmmm, I was having trouble with the rifles section, I guess it didn't post.
Anyway, I just wanted to say that is one NASTY looking round! I've never seen it before. I'm also quite jealous of you guys and your apparently endless bank accounts. I can't afford to walk by an AI, much less buy one... and then get custom work done on it... and then spring for nice glass. Hey, if you're gonna tease a dog, you have to listen to him growl a little, right? :D
I would love to see the data book values for the ballistics on that 6.5x47mm. Is there a site anywhere with it yet? Is it really pretty much the same as the .260?

Jason

Zak Smith

Pthfndr,

The answer is in running the ballistic numbers for wind. Most always, it's better to run a higher BC a little slower than a low-BC screamer-- for long-range work. Push the 139's (or 140's or 142's) as fast as possible, or maybe try the 130 Berger.

Gewehr98,

Uhh.. I don't think there's a chance. The loaded cartridges are 0.3" too long and the case head (and probably body) is much too wide for the action.
Jason,
I would love to see the data book values for the ballistics on that 6.5x47mm. Is there a site anywhere with it yet? Is it really pretty much the same as the .260?
Run any ballistics calculator with MV's you think are reasonable. Like I said, I am getting MV's with the same bullets pretty close to what I get with 260REM.

Jimro

This reminds me of a potential project for a Mosin Nagant I've been pondering, a 6.5x54r Biathalon. I need to find some old pictures to see if they modified the mosin's something other than a new barrel.

Jimro