6.5x 47 Lapua w/ pics!

shooter_john

My new #1 Savage 6.5x 47 Lapua w/ pics!

Finally got my 6.5 Lapua together and to the range. To date its got 80 rounds worth of load development through it, and it is living up to all my expectations so far. Action is Savage 112SS, barrel is Shilen varmint contour, stock is Choate Ultimate Varmint, and scope is Nikon 4.5-14x40SF Mil-Dot. Included is pics of .211" and .311" groups, only four shots measured unfortunately because I can't resist a flyer in every group :mad:!

Savage65PreCamo.jpg

Pre- full camo job
Savage11265Lapua.jpg

Camoed
65Lapuagroup1.jpg

.211" 4 shots
65Lapuagroup2.jpg

.311" 4 shots

Last edited:

shooter_john

Yeah, my bipod got shadowed a little bit somehow... Rings are TSR HRT's, base is B-Square one piece and scope is Nikon 4.5-14x40SF Mil-dot.

shooter_john

Unfortunately I don't yet have a chrony to run my loads through, but the data I am using (for a 26" bbl) list the max charge for 120gr MK HPBT w/ Reloader 15 at 38.0gr for 2988 fps. I shot both included groups with 37.0 gns, which the author of the data I have also stated he got the best results from. Email me (jkbaggett@hotmail.com) and I will send you the spreadsheet I created w/ 6.5L Load Data.

RRinto

6.5 X 47 Lapua

Shooter John,

I also recently purchased a 6.5 X 47 Lapua Shilen varmint barrel for my savage Mod 12. To date, I've tested about 27 hand loads. All but two loads shot sub MOA. 8 of the loads shot sub 1/2 MOA. I've tested and chronoed bullets from 90 grain through 140 grain (Sierra Match, Ballistic Tips, Vmax Speer, Lapua Scenar, etc.). I've used H4350, N150, N540 and RL15.

I have all of my data on an MS Excel spreadsheet. I'd be willing to share the information with you if you will be careful with the data. Some were a tad warm.

RRinto

RRinto

6.5 X 47 Lapua

I was at the range today playing with my Savage Mod 12 with a Shilen heavy barrel chambered in 6.5 X 47 Lapua. I zeroed it for 350 yards. I sure do like this cartirdge. It is easy to load and doesn't have much recoil. It shoots well just about anything that I feed it. I plan to take it with me when I go to Nebraska on a deer hunt in November. I'll use it for P-Dogs and Yotes. I plan to use a 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip hand load (V540 powder and CCI benchrest primers seated .025 off the lands). This load shoots very well with a velocity of 3,140 fps.

Later

Scorch

Nice cartridge. But I hate to be the one to tell you, those are both 1" groups. I am sure the rifle is capable of excellent accuracy.

shooter_john

Yeah... that is why I POSTED that there are 4 shots measured. I'm not afraid to admit that very rarely possess the ability to hold a 5 shot group:)! At least I shoot 5 shots groups unlike so many that stop at three. But thanks for the observation...

BarkingMad

Nice

Nice rifle,

I'm thinking about doing a similar Savage project in 7mm WSM.

Did you gunsmith it yourself or farm out the work?

I'd also be interested in hearing how you did the camo treatment - what product, method etc.

Thanks

shooter_john

BarkingMad...

We've got a smith in the area that does excellent work, and is a huge fan of LEO's, so he cuts us a big break. I got this rifle assembled and bedded, and one of my 308's bedded all for $75. But I do plan to do the work myself on my future Savage builds. The camo was done (the full camo) with some wide blade grass for a stencil and Krylon for the paint. The paint job just didn't really do it for me as time has passed, and I repainted it with pinestraw for a stencil... Maybe time to add pics of the new job!
Thanks for your comment.

datruth

I have a similar setup , should I switch barrels?

I have for all practical purposes , the same setup you have except, scope , rings ,base and action,:), but I do have a savage 110 in 30-06 and Have thought about upgrading the scope, rings and base but it seems the Shilen is a great barrel , where did you get it and what does it run? Is it possible to get it in a heavy barrel in 30-06 and is getting the new barrel installed expensive, shooter john, I will be using it as a paper puncher and maybe a hunting rifle, very rarely though. Im rambling but what the difference between a varmint contour and any heavy barrel and what lengths can I get the new barrel in , the stock barrel seems kinda short oh, heres my rifle, thanks in advance for helping a soldier with his rifle questions.

Attachments

• no.jpg
    no.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 112
Last edited: