6.5 x 55 or 7mm-08?

gonziii

I am looking for a light recoiling rifle that I could use on for deer, and possibley black bear in the future. I plan on starting to re-load in the near future so lack of availability of ammo for both rounds will hopefully not be an issue. I was considering a 25-06 since Antelope hunting could become a possibililty as well, but I don't know if that is enough for black bear.

What are the pros and cons for each? Is this a case where I could just flip a coin and be happy with either? What twist rates work best with each?

As far as the rifle goes, I am leanging towards a Tikka T-3 hunter or CZ 550 american. I just seen a CZ in 6.5 today for 599, which seemed like a resonible price. The stock trigger is not as good as the Tikka, but the set trigger is a nice feature.

I am open to any other suggestions on rifle and caliber. This is what I am leaning towards now, but I know there are other good choices out there that I may have over looked.

sneaky pete

A vote for the 6.5x55 Swed.

1st off I don't know anything about the 7-08 BUT I've got 2-6.5x55 Sweds and both of them are Mil-surplus. The m-96/38 ( 23" bbl) has been sporterized, synthetic stock W/pad, reworked bolt (new bolt handle, blue printed, cock on open, and short safety) and some really serious trigger work. It's got Warne bases and Warne QR rings and a Sightron II 4x16 mil-dot scope. Extremely accurate out to 600+yds and very mild recoil. The 6.5 retains excelent down range energy and because of a high sectional density has good penetration. Bullet selection 85gr-160gr. My other Swed is a gevar m-41/B Sniper rifle(origional as issued) W/ upgrades and accessories. I have hunted with both. I don't think that you can go wrong with the Swed. There's a bunch of commercial ammunition availiable from both American and European manufactures BUT I think that the bullet weights aren't varied much.

Last edited:

Big-Foot

Since it's mostly a deer gun and recoil is an issue with the light weight I'd go with the 6.5x55 or 260 Rem with a 1:9 twist.

100 gr Hornadys or Partitions to 3200-3300 for very light recoil on medium sized deer. Too bad Barnes doesn't make a 100 gr 6.5mm TSX but GS-Custom makes a 95 gr solid that's similar.

125 Partition or 130 TSX to 2900-3000 will flatten any big deer, hog or black bear and still shoot flat to 300 yards.

I'd go with the 260 over the Swed because of the wider choice in rifles.

fisherman66

6.5x55 Swede (140 at 2650) 9.0 10.6 8.7
.260 Rem. (140 at 2750) 7.5 13.6 10.8
7mm-08 Rem. (140 at 2860) 8.0 12.6 10.1

Rifle Weight Recoil Energy Recoil Velocity

Given an equal rifle weight, I'd say recoil's a wash.

Big-Foot

Given an equal rifle weight, I'd say recoil's a wash.

With 140s yes and there are very good 140s in both calibers. But with the 6.5mm bore premium bullets 130 gr and under make them unnecessary. I only refered to two of them, the 120 TSX, 130 Accubond and Scirocco are great bigger game bullets as well.

There are only a few good light bullets for the 7mm-08 including the 120 NBT, TSX and the Speer 130s.

All this is hair splitting. I think the 7mm-08 is a great cartridge as well and if elk were on the hunt list I'd prefer it.

45-70

CZ 550 in 6.5 Swede

I have one and like it a lot for deer and feral hogs. Not much recoil with 140 grain bullets.

Now if I was to buy another deer rifle, I might buy one in 7mm-08. I am betting it would be hard to tell the difference in recoil.

But I believe in sectional density for hunting bullets, and the 6.5 has a bit more in the same weight bullet.

el Divino

6.5x55 is a very well known cartridge in Europe since many years ago and became well known in USA by all the Sweede surplus rifles that we imported and since Remington threw in the market the 260 the 6.5 Swiss become more desirable. Our 6.5 Remington Magnum was and will be the best 6.5 in America and it require a short action

FirstFreedom

6.5x55 Swede (140 at 2650) 9.0 10.6 8.7
.260 Rem. (140 at 2750) 7.5 13.6 10.8
7mm-08 Rem. (140 at 2860) 8.0 12.6 10.1

The 6.5x55 swede can and will do much better than that if you handload. The factory loads are dumbed down for old rifles. It exceeds the .260 rem in performance with equal pressures, which all modern turnbolts can handle. So if you handload (as you are), then I'd definitely run with the 6.5x55mm. Only caveat is that it's harder to find good reloading data for the souped up loads - I'm no expert, but I'd imagine that you can just duplicate .260 rem loads. The bullets have outstanding sectional densities & ballistic coefficients. But get a rifle with a 1 in 8 twist if you plan to shoot heavy/long bullets, 140/142 and heavier.

Crosshair

IIRC the Speer loading manual loads the 6.5x55 to "modern" pressures. It has a large warning not to use the max loads in a K96 Mauser or other older rifle.

Scorch

If you ask me, it sounds like six of one, half a dozen of the other. I shoot a 7X57 and love it, and either one of those is about a match for it.

essexcounty

Gonzill, get that coin in midair....

Have both, love both. I sold my .260 a couple of years ago ( nothing wrong with it ) and haven't missed it. I wish all the World's problems were this simple. Essex

FirstFreedom

IIRC the Speer loading manual loads the 6.5x55 to "modern" pressures. It has a large warning not to use the max loads in a K96 Mauser or other older rifle.

Thanks, crosshair...interesting. If you can't get the swede in a 1 in 8" twist, then I'd opt for the 7mm-08 or 7x57 mauser instead.

gonziii

Wow thank you for all of the replies. Based on all of the feed back I am leaning towards the Tikka in 6.5, has a 1 in 8 twist verus 1 in 8.6. Also, I think this is just he CZ I handled in 6.5, but the set trigger was difficult to set. I have tried it on an 550 varmint and 527 varmint before and it was not as difficult to set, so it was probably this particular gun.

Any other suggestions on a rifle in 6.5 that will not break the bank and is known for its accuracy?

Thanks!

multistage

I vote for 7-08 just because of the brass/ammo availability. I have a good friend who has a Sako 338 and a 6.5 (cannot remember who built it). Unless he is going strictly for elk, the 338 stays home.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I bought a 700Ti to get a really lightweight package. 7mm08. It fits me well, and recoil at the benchrest is no bother to my arthritic shoulder. 6.5 pounds total. I get the same point of impact with factory ammo as with my handloads, and just inside one MOA for group size.

Nothing against the 6.5, of course, but I sure can't complain about the route I took. :)

Art

arizona hunter

Aahh! It's nice to read such nice stories about the 6.5 X 55. When I wanted a lighter rifle than my 30.06 (just because) I looked for a good buy on a 6.5 x 55 or .260 Rem and a friend sold me a 1942 Husquavarna in 6.5 x55. It's a Mauser 96 type so the reloading manuals suggest backing off 1.0 grain of powder, but a 129 gr. Hornady SSt at 2600 to 2700 is plenty for deer and Barnes XLC 120's at 2900 or 140's at 2700 I would even use on elk, because they will penetrate and go through bones.

That CZ 550 sounds real nice. A buddy has a couple in other calibers and they are fine rifles.

sneaky pete

Gonxiii

The Mil-spec twist on the m-96s, m-38s and the m-41/Bs is 1-7.9 and their later bullet weight was changed in 1941 to 139gr. You had mentioned looking for a "cheeper" 6.5. My suggestion is to look for a surplus m-96/38 or a straight m/38 and sportorize it. You possibly might find one in the 200-300$ bracket. I don't know if Samco in Miami has any more left. That's where I got both of mine and I'm reall happy with both. I do reload and I'm getting 2950fps w/ 123gr and 2875 w/139gr using Viht N-560. I've been real happy with the dual based Viht powders but they are hard to find locally and I HATE to pay the $20 HASMAT fee. Yes there is a "warning" about loading OLD mil-spec rifles so you have to try out things for your self --CAREFULLY- BUT !!!!! some folks have loaded the old girls to the max or even a touch over with no problems---nuff said THANX - SNEAKY