6.5 PRC

reynolds357

So, what's up with the new 6.5 PRC? Hornaday duplicated the 260 Rem, now they are duplicating the 6.5x284 Norma. I see the point of the Creedmoor was to shoot longer bullets than the 260, but the Norma already shoots the longest bullets on the market.

Last edited:

Don Fischer

6.5 PRC? Well I suspect they just might make it go! Amazing the thing's shooter's will buy. How in the world the 6.5 CM ever made it is beyond me. It does not do anything a 260 won't. And been hearing about the new 6mm CM. What will it do that a 243 won't? Now a 6.5 PRC? Is the thing based on a 284 case? I think it is time for a 7.62x06! We really need it! :)

taylorce1

Don Fischer said:
And been hearing about the new 6mm CM. What will it do that a 243 won't?

Reliably stabalize 105+ grain VLD bullets without putting a custom barrel on your .243 Win. Not many .243 rifles come with a barrel twist to do that, Barrett and Legendary Arms Works are the only to I know of. Those rifles start north of $1200, and a Ruger Predator 6mm CM lets you shoot those bullets for less than $500.

Roadkill2228

I was intrigued by the sound of this cartridge, but upon closer examination I feel it is truly pointless. Doesn't do anything a 6.5-284 can't do with a. Standard bolt face. Remember Remington's 6.5 magnum from way back? I'm surprised no major companies have released short mags based on the .58 diameter lapua/rigby case. I know Lazzeroni has, and there's an interesting article out there about a 7mm "fatso" some New Zealand folks made based on cut down .338 lapua. A short action 6.5 based on that fat case might actually be unique enough to be worth talking about/manufacturing.

Dranrab

Were folks clamoring for a moderate velocity 6.5 when the Creedmoor came out? I don't think so. Some of the same comments being made about the Creedmoor are being made about this cartridge. I remember some of the threads that came out questioning the why and the will it survive. Here's an interesting such thread.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...cs/5675433/all/will-the-6-5-creedmoor-survive

I like the idea of this cartridge. If I didn't already have 3 6.5s I'd buy one of these in a hunting rifle. It'd be a great all around cartridge for hunting North American game. Appreciably more oomph than the pedestrian Creedmoor with all the ballistic advantages. I would be very surprised if we don't see several Rugers in the chambering in the near future. I kinda doubt Hornady would have done this relying on a few high end specialty gun makers to be the flag bearers. The little ammo that's already available is cheaper than 6.5x284 by a good amount.

Do I think it will survive. I don't know. It won't gain the Creedmoor status, but if it gets offered in a few good hunting rifles it would help. Then a little hunting ammo that is less expensive yet. For someone that wanted a mid-bore NA hunting rifle, this would pack more wallop than the Creed, Sweed or 260. I like it. It's largely redundant for sure, but any new offering over the past 50 years is. If it proves to be as accurate and easy to load for as the Creed, then we may have a winner on our hands.

As it turns out, Hornady has a video from George Gardner explaining the purpose. Basically, it is the longest BC bullet you can safely push to 3150fps in a short-action (in order to meet the rules for sub-.300 caliber rifles in the Precision Rifle Series).

So, aimed at a fairly narrow niche.

stagpanther

Reliably stabalize 105+ grain VLD bullets without putting a custom barrel on your .243 Win. Not many .243 rifles come with a barrel twist to do that, Barrett and Legendary Arms Works are the only to I know of. Those rifles start north of $1200, and a Ruger Predator 6mm CM lets you shoot those bullets for less than $500.

I built a 6mm CM--it does shoot the 105 VLD very well; and the 108 ELDX even better.

std7mag

Hornady can send me their unused RCM casings.

Neck to 7mm and go to town!!
Maybe i'll neck them to 284 instead... Lol