6.5 PRC Difficulty Chambering - Nosler Model 21

jackstrawIII

Hey guys,

I've been loading for like 10 years and thought I had a good idea what I was doing... but I have a rifle that's causing unsolvable frustration.

It's a Nosler Model 21 in 6.5 PRC and I don't know if the chamber is too tight on it or if there's another issue in my setup, but I'm having a heck of a time with loads being very hard to chamber and very hard to extract.

Can you give me some sort of checklist of things I can evaluate to figure out what the problem is?

Ps. I'm reloading Hornady brass and no, I have not tried a factory round in the gun. Even if I could find them locally, I haven't bought factory ammo in years and I can't stomach the thought of it.

PPs. I've tried H1000 and Retumbo powders. The bullets have been 129 grain SSTs and 118 grain CBB MKZ (copper). I tried different combos because I wasn't sure if I was overfilling the cases causing them to bulge or something, but I don't think that's the problem.

olduser

First thing I would check is to see if your OAL is too long and is jamming bullets in the throat. If you can load and extract a round you should carefully examine the bullet for rifling marks.

scatterbrain

If I was faced with that I would resize a case, trim to correct length, mark with a marker and put it in, see where it hits. You could be over length, or have not set the shoulder back enough, and you may be over sized on the neck. If the chamber is tight you will see it on the marks. I have a 280 Rem that will not load factory cartridges, has a custom barrel. All reloads work fine.

stagpanther

I use a lot of 6.5 PRC brass to make 25 PRC cases--occasionally I'll have an issue that reveals itself as stiffness in both closing and opening the bolt. I definitely have to keep a close watch on the shoulder position as well as avoid using a bit too much "umph" when seating or crimping a bullet as excessive downward pressure can create what I call an "external doughnut" at the base of the shoulder. I trim the case length well within the max case OL.

GeauxTide

I would try two things. 1st is a FULL resize and test for chambering. 2nd is place the width of a nickel between the shell holder and sizing die. Size and try chambering. If still hard chambering, cut to minimum length and try again. The articles I've read about the PRCs is they are short chambered.

sako2

How many firings on the cases? What brand die are you using? Some people are having trouble chambering cases that have 4 or 5 reloadings on them. The die may not be resizing the base of the case enough. Try turning your die down a little. I have hornady 6.5 prc cases with 20+ firings on them. I'm using a Whidden bushing die.

stagpanther

I think Geauxtide is on to something with the short chambering, or, sometimes, if the chamber is cut to tighter match standards.

jetinteriorguy

I would try two things. 1st is a FULL resize and test for chambering. 2nd is place the width of a nickel between the shell holder and sizing die. Size and try chambering. If still hard chambering, cut to minimum length and try again. The articles I've read about the PRCs is they are short chambered.
First, I’m not trying to start an argument or anything, but what does using a spacer between the shell holder and die accomplish? I’m purely asking only for my own understanding and knowledge.

jackstrawIII

Thanks for all the comments. I’ll try to answer all the questions here:

Olduser, I checked the OAL. That’s not the problem. I made a bunch of dummy rounds at various lengths and they still didn’t chamber correctly.

Scatterbrain, that’s a good idea. I’ll try that today. At least it might tell me where I’m getting hung up.

Stagpanther, that is also a good idea. I have a little neck trimming setup for when I used to make 260 Rem cases. Should work nicely.

Geauxtide, I am using full length sizing dies. RCBS. Can you explain the nickel idea? Trying to make the case longer by pushing the shoulder less?

Sako2, I’m using Hornady cases that are only on their second firing.

Thanks Al.

scatterbrain

jackstrawIII,just to clarify, OAL is generally assumed to be over all cartridge length, my suggested is dealing with the length of the cartridge case only. After getting the empty case to load without issue we will check with a seated bullet.

jackstrawIII

Scatterbrain, I tested an empty (fired and resized) case this morning after coloring it with a marker per your suggestion. It was very hard to chamber. The marker wasn't crazy conclusive, but it did show some major rubbing on the shoulders of the case.

Ideas?

sako2

Did it rub the shoulder or where the shoulder meets the body? Try putting a piece of paper inside the shell holder and resize one.

stagpanther

I eventually put a mic to the OD of the base of the shoulder where it meets the body and found that compression of some sort was causing an expansion there. take an unfired case that chambers no problem mic it there then compare to a cartridge that is stiff to cycle. Worse that will happen is that you can eliminate that as a possibility.

Full disclosure--there are no 25 PRC dies so I kinda sorta jury-rigged the 6.5 PRC dies to form my 25 PRC brass.

GeauxTide

First, I’m not trying to start an argument or anything, but what does using a spacer between the shell holder and die accomplish? I’m purely asking only for my own understanding and knowledge.
Jet, I have used the penny/nickel to make sure that the shoulder wasn't set back. I learned this in the 70s when I started loading a 7mm Weatherby. Applied this to my other cartridges that were housed in bolt actions. My ARs and BAR Mk3 get the FL treatment.

jetinteriorguy

Jet, I have used the penny/nickel to make sure that the shoulder wasn't set back. I learned this in the 70s when I started loading a 7mm Weatherby. Applied this to my other cartridges that were housed in bolt actions. My ARs and BAR Mk3 get the FL treatment.
I realized the results of what you’re doing, but I’m curious why in relation to the OP’s issue?

scatterbrain

Jackstraw, I would set my sizing die about .002 deeper to shove the shoulder back, check the length of the case and retry. I believe .002 would be about 1/8 inch movement of the lock ring. A case comparator would be helpful to compare your fired case to a resized one.