6.5 H-Bar rifle

BoogieMan

I started with the "out of box accuracy thread" but I felt this needed new attention. I have opted to go to a 6.5mm rifle. 260 rem, 6.5x55, 6.5 creed. I found the ideal setup Tikka T3x varminter. Unfortunately they do not import them into the us in any 6.5 cartridges even though they list them on the website.
I want:
1. Detachable mag (prefer box type)
2. Heavy Barrel (.800ish at muzzle)
3. A decent stock
4. Under $1100- prefer to be more like $800
Closest I have found is a Savage 10/110 Pred Hunter 6.5 creed (sku-19129). Im not crazy about Savage and its listed as a med. contour not a heavy contour. Ruger precision rifle also comes close. I just find it to be a very ugly rifle and they are nearly impossible to come by.
I have searched Rem, Sav, Howa, Weath, Tikka, CZ. Am I leaving out an obvious choice?

603Country

How about buying a used rifle and rebarrel it? As for which specific rifle and action, the Rem 700 is almost universal. Somebody somewhere has what you want.

mj246

It will take a little work, but Howa does make a heavy contour barreled action in 6.5 Creedmoor (.825" outside diameter at muzzle). Getting a good stock should be relatively easy. Their Hogue stocks are pretty good as far as I can tell from handling many but not shooting one. Others with more experience may have different feelings on the matter though. Legacy also advertises some sort of conversion kit for detachable mags. I have no idea how much this would cost. They may even make a finished rifle with this barrel, but I haven't found it yet.

http://www.legacysports.com/barreled-actions

Edit to add:

I found the full rifle that uses this barrel and action. Howa Hogue Kryptec Highlander package with 20" #6 heavy barrel in 6.5 Creedmore. MSRP $1000. It appears to still need the conversion kit to accept detachable magazines though. http://www.legacysports.com/hogue-kryptek-cerakote-package

Last edited:

BoogieMan

How about buying a used rifle and rebarrel it? As for which specific rifle and action, the Rem 700 is almost universal. Somebody somewhere has what you want.
This was my original thought. I have a 110 (blind mag) and a 700 adl (blind mag) action sitting in front of me. Both are 30-06 so no problem to make them 6.5x55. When I add up costs $250++ stock, $375++ barrel, $200 box mag conversion. Plus my time, im a machinist. It makes sense to save the time and just buy what I want ready to go. I am willing to listen to any option anyone can offe.

BoogieMan

@mj246- I am not familiar with legacy. I will call them tomorrow and see what I can put together with them. They list the howa action I would want with the 24 barrel. If I can put together a package I may go that route. Otherwise at this point I am left with building out one of the actions I have.

Sharkbite

Dude, that Ruger prec rifle aint no slouch.

I undrstand you not being crazy about the looks, but its a SHOOTER and with the modularity... You could make it look anyway you want

mj246

@mj246- I am not familiar with legacy. I will call them tomorrow and see what I can put together with them. They list the howa action I would want with the 24 barrel. If I can put together a package I may go that route. Otherwise at this point I am left with building out one of the actions I have.

Legacy Sports is the US importer and distributor of Howa rifles and actions. The order would have to go through one of their authorized dealers, but a call should answer the question of a package can be made for your specifications using that action.

Good luck with whichever route you take, and let us know how the rifle shoots once it is complete.

taylorce1

BoogieMan said:
This was my original thought. I have a 110 (blind mag) and a 700 adl (blind mag) action sitting in front of me. Both are 30-06 so no problem to make them 6.5x55. When I add up costs $250++ stock, $375++ barrel, $200 box mag conversion. Plus my time, im a machinist. It makes sense to save the time and just buy what I want ready to go. I am willing to listen to any option anyone can offe.

I would use that Savage 110 action if you want to keep the machining time to a minimum. I have no clue as to what stock you want to use, but $250 is definitely B&C, Choate, or used HS. You could go a lot cheaper with Boyd's Pro Varmint at $129 plus shipping.

Barrels there are several that you could go with, but you can come in cheaper than $300 with the Savage. Apache gun works, Bison gun works, and ER Shaw all offer barrels under $375 by quite a bit. The only one I've used is ER Shaw and they have shot very well for me once broken in. Plus you can buy the barrels ready to install nor machining necessary. I think a #7 contour will fit your build nicely.

I have no idea as to the quality of this bottom metal from Accurate-Mag but you can buy the bottom metal for $140. That'll save you at least $60 from the CDI which I'm guessing that you were looking at, and the money saved will buy most of one .30-06 magazines from them as well. I think it'll be easier to make the .30-06 magazine to feed the 6.5X55, than to make a .300 WM magazine from AI feed the Swede.

If you go this route it'll keep your machining time to a minimum vs. the Remington action. The only thing I see you'd need to really machine out is the DBM bottom metal into the stock of your choice. Anyway, it should be a fun build for you.

Smokey Joe

Which is it you want???

Boogie Man--Are you wanting to do the project of building a rifle to your specs, or are you wanting to get right to shooting and developing your eye and accuracy?

If the second, let me suggest that the Ruger Precision Rifle is what you want. Ugly. Check. Barrel-heavy. VERY! (get a bipod!) Hard to find. Yes. Scheels Sporting Goods got one for me, if you live where they operate, and for well below the MSRP. Otherwise, order one through your LGS and it will come, eventually.Order it in 6.5 Creedmoor, of course.

Out-of-the-box-accuracy??? Ruger just wrote a whole new chapter in that book. Get some of the Hornady Match ammo and you will be amazed.

Now, if what you want to do is a "build-a-rifle" project, I can't help you. But you are going to have to build one heck of a rifle to get better results than the RPR will give you, out of the box. You will be happiest with a 'scope of high quality--The RPR deserves the best you can afford to mount on it.

BoogieMan

Joe thanks for the advice. I have resigned the search. The ruger meats the criteria, but life is to short to own such an ugly rifle. I am building the 700 like I previously planned. All the parts should be in this week.

Smokey Joe

Hmmm...

Boogie Man--Your decision. Please keep us posted on your progress. With pictures, of course!!

Last edited: