6.5 Grendel update.

kilotanker22

So I finally got some dies for the grendel. I was was pleasantly stunned with the results from the following load.

First, I am shooting the 95 grain v max. for multiple reasons. lightweight frangible bullet to prevent over penetration.

I am using Power Pro Varmint 30.75 grains.
That Vmax bullet seated about .030" from the lands.

I did not weigh a single charge. I got my RCBS Uniflow Measure set to the right place and just dropped all of the charges. With that fine ball powder a run of 20 charges had an extreme spread of only .06 grains, Not .6, .06. So I feel there is no need at all to weigh each charge.

Anyway, My barrel is an 18" stainless barrel from PSA. The part that really stunned me was this: Across a ten round string for velocity testing.

Avg 2599 fps
ES 12 fps
SD 4 fps

No pressure signs to speak of and the brass looks great. I could push these bullets harder for sure, but probably won't since my velocity spread is so low. Tough call for me really. I would be willing to bet that I can get that bullet closer to 2750, I just don't want the velocity spread to fall apart.

The only load data I could find with that powder was from Sierra. I used the Data from their 100 grain hollow point since it is pretty close in weight to the 95 grain v max

mel80

i think u can get those alot faster im shooting 90g tnts out of my 20 at 3050fps with 32.5g of ppv.
id imagine u can get that 95g to 2800 safely if they stay accurate
Hmjw60Q.jpg

lordmorgul

Hearing about 6.5G bolts not fairing well with higher pressures, any thoughts on that? Maybe more than a safety concern but reliability and longevity.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

kilotanker22

I will load a couple up a little higher. As far as accuracy I don't know for sure. My red dot is 3 moa and ai don't have a magnifier.

I can hit an 8 inch plate Everytime at 100 yards and an 16 inch plate 9 out of ten times at 300 yards

kilotanker22

I tested loads for velocity up to 32 grains of PP Varmint. I was able to attain a little over 2700fps, but my velocity spread fell apart. I went from an extreme spread of 12 fps to a SD of 12 fps and an extreme spread of 30 fps. I mean inside 400 yards is the 100 fps even gonna matter? In the same respect. Inside 400 yards I don't believe that an extreme spread of 30 fps will make any difference. Especially since I am only using a red dot and cant really engage targets effectively past 400 yards or so. So I am torn, use the hotter load for more energy on target? Or use the more consistent load?

std7mag

Let us know when you put an actual scope on it, and take it out to some distance. ;)

Very accurate with a 3 MOA dot indeed... ;)

kilotanker22

Let us know when you put an actual scope on it, and take it out to some distance. ;)

Very accurate with a 3 MOA dot indeed... ;)
For permanent purposes the red dot will be the primary sight for this rifle. Although I have considered putting my Vortex Viper HST on it temporarily to test for accuracy.

kilotanker22

The only problem is I don't really want to spend the money on a good 30mm mount for my AR when I won't be keeping a scope on that rifle

Every rifle shooter who does any sort of precision work should have a spare set of 30mm rings, and probably 1" as well. You are going to use them, so you might as well have them.

kilotanker22

I have several sets of spare 30mm and one inch rings. None of which are high enough to mount my 50 mm objective on my AR rifle.

ocharry

Kilo...maybe you could get a cheap riser for your AR for the time being and use your 30mm rings...just a thought

Ocharry

kilotanker22

Well I never I tended to need rings for this gun and only need them temporarily. If I was gonna leave a scope on it I would have bought the appropriate mount.

kilotanker22

At the range now waiting for some guys to get done hanging steel so I can sight in and test the Grendel. I put my Viper HST on it for the day

kilotanker22

Well the load that had the really tight velocity spread didn't shoot that well. Between 1.5 and 2 moa for all the 5 round groups.

Got to go buy more bullets to load and I will t at the hotter loads for accuracy.

Although, I wasn't rock solid stable and my two stage trigger breaks around 5-6 pounds. I shot 3 1.5-2 moa groups at 100 yards and two 2 moa groups at 300 today with the same load.

I guess it is a distinct possibility that this rifle just won't shoot better than that with this bullet. I will report back after testing the hotter loads

kilotanker22

I think that I found my load. Interestingly enough, as mel80 stated. I was able to get them up to 2800 or so. I never had any pressure signs until my very last load. A slight ejector mark, that's it. Average Velocity was 2796, ES 16 fps and SD 7 fps. 1 moa 5 round groups.

Put the red dot back on it and took that Viper HST off of it. Too heavy with the scope to fit the MO I want for this rifle. Still able to hit at 100 and 300 yards with the 3 moa dot. Just doing it 200 fps faster.

kilotanker22

If I put any scope on it, it would be like a 1-8 or something really lightweight. I have other rifles to hunt varmints with. This gun is meant to be a lightweight defense/shtf rifle.