6.5 Grendel powder choice ?

hounddawg

I have been beating around the bush oin buying or building a non .223 AR for a year now and finally decided on a cartridge. Just ordered a pre built 6.5 Grendel upper from Sanders Armory, 20 inch barrel. I will be using 123 SMKs for paper punching 300 to 800. Anyone load for this or a similar combo and have a particular powder preference ? I am also looking at the Hornady ELDX bullets and might try and take a white tail with it

I have mostly various Hogdon powders available but would consider the RL line or even VV

hounddawg

thanks guys. I have Varget, CFE 223, and TAC on the shelf. Nosler lists 8208 as the most accurate powder for their 123 CC's and I have about 200 of those on the shelf. Pretty sure the LGS had 8208 on the shelf last time I was in there. I also found half a box of 107 SMKs on the shelf which never shot worth a damn in my .260 bolt guns so they will get a test

The more I learn about this round the harder I am kicking my tail for not getting one sooner. With the long barrel life I can play with loads all I want and barrel swaps are cake

rg1

I use AA2520 and it's accurate and I can duplicate Hornady factory velocity with it. I've read that it's not as temperature stable as some others but if it is I haven't seen great variations?

Bfglowkey

Welcome to the horde! The Grendel is a extremely fun and versatile round. When it comes to reloading or if you just want to learn more visit:

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/forum.php

The host site has a pair of books as well that are dedicated to the round and will give you a large variety of reloading options/recipes based on lessons learned. They have one of the books dedicated to the AR platform of loading and the other for Hunting ( and most of it can translate to bolt action)

hounddawg

Thanks Bfglowkey, that looks to be the motherload right there :)

I don't know how I could have overlooked this cartridge for so long. I am extremely impressed with what I have read so far on it's accuracy at mid and long range and really excited about shooting it.

Bfglowkey

This may rub the purests the wrong way but I replaced my main hunting gun with a Howa 1500 20" HB when Brownells was nearly giving them away. I have 3 different hunting loads and 2 target loads developed and working on my last "just because" 1k load. In the short few months I have had it: 3 deer, 1 red stag, 12 hogs ( 9 sow 3 boar) 2 aoudads and partridge in a pear tree.....every one of them insta-drop ranging from 65yds out to 410 yds per my spotter. The Nosler 129 ABLRs are finicky but worth the trouble! Lastly...a seriously overlooked bullet for 200yd and below...Hornady 129 Interlock. As long as you get it to 2200 FPS you will feel like your cheating.

Chaparral

I have been beating around the bush oin buying or building a non .223 AR for a year now and finally decided on a cartridge. Just ordered a pre built 6.5 Grendel upper from Sanders Armory, 20 inch barrel. I will be using 123 SMKs for paper punching 300 to 800. Anyone load for this or a similar combo and have a particular powder preference ? I am also looking at the Hornady ELDX bullets and might try and take a white tail with it

I have mostly various Hogdon powders available but would consider the RL line or even VV
6.5 Grendel – CFE 223 – 30.0 gr – 2.247 COAL – Hornady 123 gr SST

This is my accuracy load for my Grendel. Quite accurate.

hounddawg

6.5 Grendel – CFE 223 – 30.0 gr – 2.247 COAL – Hornady 123 gr SST

This is my accuracy load for my Grendel. Quite accurate.

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like the SST can be used as a hunting bullet also and the .51 BC is as good as the 123 SMK's and Nosler 123CC's. I might have to try a box of those.

Mind if I ask your barrel length and if you have ran it across the chrono? Mine is coming with a 20 inch 1/8 twist barrel

Chaparral

Mine is identical to yours. No I do not own a chrono. I do believe the SST can be used for hunting, though I have never used my Grendel hunting. Maybe this year. :)

hounddawg

called 5 different local gun stores today looking for a pound of 8208 XBR, fifth one had it but a that would mean a 50 mile round trip so I ordered a 8 pound jug from Grafs instead, 2 gallons of gas and two hours of frustration is worth $22 for shipping and Hazmat. I tried to buy local but it is what it is.

I hope like heck this gun likes 8208 but it seems to be the powder of choice for the 123 Sierra, and Hornady bullet and Nosler rated it as the most accurate powder for their 123's so I think I am on safe territory. I called the manufacturer today and asked what they recommended and he said he uses 8208 in his loads with the 120 and 123 bullets

The upper and the cases arrived today and this weekend I will stuff the 35 leftover 107 SMKs with a mild load of TAC or RL10x for the barrel break in and try and another 15 with 123's and Varget just to round it up to 50. I also ordered another Wilson trimmer. No used ones on Ebay so I came off the credit card for a new one. I set one up permanently for each cartridge I am loading. I trim after every firing for consistency

I have not did any accuracy load development on a gas gun in years, I think this make a fun summer project

edit @ Chaparral I am going to modify those barrel break loads to the CFE223 and a 123 bullet. I have about a half pound on the shelf, thanks for reminding me

mehavey

Well . . . the 120 Berger likes it.

15xsmiq.jpg

:D

Bfglowkey

That's the kind of groups we are all looking for lol!

FYI. Varget is not the best powder in the Grendel for the most part. I know it seems weird but it consistently underperforms compared to the others in most categories. XBR is very solid, especially in gas guns and AR COMP is probably the jack of all trades winner. Good velocities, good accuracy good stability and good metering. It is usually in the upper middle and upper end of the spectrum in all things across all bullets 107 and above. Have not tried in the little 90s.

Old Stony

I shoot hogs regularly with a Grendel, using Hornady 123 SSt's. I had a large supply of factory ammo, and it is getting close to being depleted...but I have stocked up on CFE223 and Hornady 123 SST bullets to use in the near future. I don't think you can go wrong with that combination. I use the same bullets in my 6.5 Creedmores and have shot numerous hogs and deer with excellent results. I love the accuracy and performance of those bullets.

CarJunkieLS1

My 20" Grendel it's shooting 27.3 grains of 8208 and a 123 SST. Rifle is very very accurate and I've killed my one and only buck with it. Shot was 30ish yards and he ran about 75 bleeding the entire way. Bullet exited and blood was easy to follow.

GeauxTide

CFE223

Hornady X recommends it and I can verify that 30gr under a 123SST in Hornady Brass give .3" 5 shot groups in my Sanders Armory 5R Barrel. Does it for me.