6.5 Creedmoor Question

KS1911

I have an itch to try out a 6.5 Creedmoor. I don't really want to buy a Ruger, but would prefer to have a Remington 700 or Browning A or X bolt. My question is anyone knows if would be possible to have a .243 reamed to 6.5 Creedmoor. I wasn't sure of the dimensions and am having trouble finding them as needed.

zoomie

Reamed? You can rebarrel to a 6.5C, but you can't just ream a new chamber as .243 is a 6mm caliber.

KS1911

I realize that I could get it rebarreled, but I was looking for the cheaper option as then I will have to pull the barrel and try to sell it to recope the costs associated with buying a new barrel and having it installed. I figured that by doing a ream it would save on costs.

After reading through the information on both cartridges, I would much rather have a 6.5C over the .260 due to factory loaded ammo selection, cost of ammo and hornady's reloading support.

zoomie

How many factory loaded ammo options did you find for Creedmoor? I only find a couple, and they're all Hornady. I find many more for the 260, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. I will agree than the Creedmoor I found was cheaper than the 260.

Bird Dog

Why is it you would rather have the Creedmore over the .260? Both Federal and Remington have factory offerings for the .260. You are pretty well limited to Hornady with the Creedmore. If you reload, either will be good. The ballistics are the same. If you prefer Remingtons, get one in .260 and drive on.

KS1911

Probably should have looked at Midwayusa.com instead. I do see many more for 260. I have concerns with the way that Remington has released this round and doesn't seem to have any support for it. On the other hand, Hornady (maybe Ruger, jointly) seem to be fully backing the 6.5. Hornady includes the load data in each box of ammo, which I also like. Seeing as how the 2 rounds are darn near identical, it is just my preference to go with the Creedmoor. I was really looking for the lowest cost option, but it seems that I might be best suited all around to just spend the money on a good quality barrel rather than looking at reaming the cheap factory one.

zoomie

but it seems that I might be best suited all around to just spend the money on a good quality barrel rather than looking at reaming the cheap factory one.
Yep.

While reaming a 260 barrel might save you a few bucks, you're still going to have to pay the labor costs of a gunsmith to remove the barrel, possibly set the barrel back, cut the new chamber, then re-thread the barrel and reattach. Or you can buy a nice 6.5 barrel from any number of barrel makers and end up with a semi-custom rifle in the end.

taylorce1

Have you looked at Thompson Center Icon rifles? They chamber there new Icon bolt action in 6.5 Creedmore. Buying one of those will be cheaper than any of the options presented so far. Plus I've only heard good reviews from the people who own them on the forums.

Bird Dog

I don't have one yet (emphasis on YET), but the Icon appears to be a very well thought out and well built firearm. I think taylorce has your answer.

sc928porsche

Unless you are going to build a new wildcat, you will not be able to just ream out 6.5 Creedmore in a 243. 243 is a 6mm, so you would have to build as 6mm Creedmore if you are using that barrel.

jgcoastie

I'm sure Zak Smith will be along shortly to answer any and all questions you may have about the 6.5 C/M.

I'll second the praise for the Thompson Center Icon line. I finally got the chance to shoot one recently and I just added it to my short list.