6.5 creedmoor data help.

slammedsi

Looking for reloading data for the 6.5 creedmoor. I've got brass , cci mag and normal primers and 500 berger vld hunting 130gr. Can anyone recommend a min and max load with reloader 17 and 22? Ive got a large supply of them both, so i would like to try and use it. I'm open to other powders, If anyone has a good pet load also.

Last edited:

oldscot3

I don't know of any published data for your exact combination, but there are some articles out there that should help. G&A did a write up on the creed that included load data for a different 130 gr. bullet and rl17. Found it pretty quick with google. Good luck to you.

slammedsi

Thanks old, I did some Google searching but didn't come up with much. I really haven't seen much for reloading data for this round. I know it came out in 08, But man i would think there would be a lot of data out there by now. The only reloading manual Ive found is from berger its self.

stubbicatt

To my knowledge, Berger is the only published load data. Sometimes if you call Sierra, they will give you loads for their bullets which haven't been published yet.

Good luck in your quest. I too am looking for loads for the 6.5x47 Lapua, and only Berger has published data. Well, Lapua has data for Vihtavouri powders, not the RL15 and RL17 that I would prefer. :rolleyes:

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Hodgdon has 6.5 data also but that won't help with Alliant powders.

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

According to QuickLoad, with default parameters and using a +5% burn rate variance, you're going to max out with RL-17 at 41.5gr.

You'd probably be hard pressed (literally) to get enough Rl-22 in the case to cause any problems. Same +5% burn variance, you'd be at 47.0gr, which is 107% compressed.

I would suggest that you email Alliant. They generally respond promptly.

slammedsi

Brian, Thanks for the information. Does quick load predict a velocity using RL22? Ive emailed both Berger and Alliant. Maybe they will have some information to share with me.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
With a 24" barrel and 47.0gr Rl-22, it's showing 2,982fp for the +5% burn rate. Nominal burn rate is 2,895.

Looks like RamShot Hunter might be a good choice.

This is all with default case capacities so real life is going to be a tad slower (larger cases), most likely.

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

The 6.5 Lapua, with the +5% burn variance, you'd be at 39.5gr RL17 under that bullet. Burn rate as tested, 40.4gr, 2,913fps.

Last edited:

slammedsi

Brian, is that using the 130gr bullet or the 140? Also this ruger has a 26" barrel. Is this extra 2" inches going to cause much of a difference in pressures?

Geo_Erudite

Step 1: Google search 6.5 Creedmoor Forum

Step 2: Join 6.5 Creedmoor Forum (it is free)

Step 3: Under the reloading section there is tons of data, plus everyone is very helpful

reynolds357

As Brian pointed out, Ramshot hunter is a wonderful powder for the 6.5 Creedmore with the 130 Berger.It is fast and pretty accurate. I have gotten my best groups with IMR 4350. W760 produces some blistering velocities, but I am yet to find an accurate load with it. I have found no published data for IMR 4350, but I used H4350 Data. I know you are technically not allowed to interchange the data, but I have done it for years with no problem. The Imr 4350 likes to be lit with a magnum primer in My Creedmoor. Load at your own perril, but in my rifle the Berger seats so long that "Maximum" load in the Hodgdon manual is not even close to what I am shooting. I have a Berger Manual in my shop, but oddly enough I have never looked at the Creedmore data in it. I had developed my load before I bought the manual. I will look at it Monday, and if anything is there that might be useful to you, I will pass it on.

reynolds357

I looked at Berger Manual. RL-19 is the only alliant powder listed for the 130. 44.0 gr is the maximum charge. It is a compressed load, and shows a velocity of 2795. Looking at the burn rates of the powders listed, neither 17 or 22 seems anywhere close to ideal for the 130 in the Creedmore.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
That's interesting.

QuickLoad agrees with the velocity of that load, exactly. 2,795fps but doesn't think it's anywhere near a max charge.

Rl-17 is actually a pretty good powder for the Creed, based on QuickLoad's numbers. It's a 93+% case fill, 100% burn and over 30% efficient. Rl19 isn't bad either, 101.7% load, 96.24% burn and 26.9% efficient.

reynolds357

17 seems to be a bit out of line with the burn rate powders that Berger used for their data, but that does not really mean anything.
I double checked the manual and 44 is what they are showing. They are showing it is compressed. If I get time tomorrow, I will throw 44 gr of 19 in a case and see if Berger is correct or if the computer is correct. Either it will be compressed or it won't. What case capacity does quick load show 44 gr to be? Berger says 102%.
From what I have seen, IMR 4350 is the powder to shoot in the Creed.

Last edited:

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
QuickLoad says it's a compressed load at 101.7%

In fact, those numbers are so similar (identical) that I'd be willing to bet that Berger got that data from QuickLoad.

QL agrees that IMR 4350 would probably be good. 98.5% burn, 102% load, 30% efficient.