6.5 creedmoor 140 ELD update.

kilotanker22

warning, the load data I will share here is above maximum in some manuals while below maximum in some other manuals. In my rifle this load is on the hot side, but not what I would consider to be dangerous. Use any data found here at your own risk!

I have settled on a load for my Savage 110 Tactical Desert in 6.5 creedmoor. The load is as follows. 42.2 grains of Hodgdon 4350, 140 grain Hornady ELD Match bullets seated at mag length (.025" off the lands), CCI 200 primer in Hornady Brass.

I have been testing this load for a few weeks now with about ten range trips and several hundred rounds down range.

Average velocity is 2814
Extreme spread is 20 fps and Standard Deviation is 5 fps. These numbers were calculated after collecting data from ten, ten round strings over the chronograph. I feel as though this is a large enough sample to reliably depend on that velocity data for calculating trajectory when I stretch the legs on this rifle in the coming months.

Group sizes are excellent in my opinion. 5 round groups hover in the .35-.50" range. Ten, ten round groups all averaged between .6-.8" at 100 yards. I will attach a photo from the ten round group I shot today.

Overall, I am very satisfied with this setup. Just figured I would share my results here.

Attachments

• IMG_13052020_163250_(750_x_750_pixel).jpg
    IMG_13052020_163250_(750_x_750_pixel).jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 57

kilotanker22

That ten rou d group I shot today was from a completely could bore. There were no warm up shots or anything. I have found with this particular rifle and load cold bore does not seem to change point of impact. I also have not cleaned the copper from the bore for around 1000 rounds now.

kilotanker22

how do you like the hornady brass? Any problems with it? I ordered the same rifle in 6.5 prc.
So far so good. It is not as hard as the Winchester brass. You can feel it when trimming and chamfering. Right now this brass is on its first firing. Just ran them through a sizer die for the necks, chamfered them, seated primers, charged and seated bullets.

With the Winchester cases and this load I get 6 or so firings before the primer pockets start getting on the loose side. We'll see how it goes with Hornady.

cdoc42

I have a Browning X-Bolt that is extremely accurate with Hornady 140gr HP (no longer available), 140gr Hornady Spires and Sierra 140gr SPBT. Chronographed at 2610 fps with H4350 40.0gr. I'm much less impressed with Berger 140 HP Hunting bullets.

Be that as it may I got into 1000 yard shooting and although I reached a bull at 1000 yds it was by using the very last part of my M-308 Nikon 4-16 scope. I figured I could use more velocity so I search recipes and tried Hodgon Superformance. 43.8 was max, so I loaded 5 at 43.0 and 5 at 43.5 and went off to the range. Seating was 0.02" from the leade at 2.195".

The 43.0 load delivered 4 shots 2" high, dead center, for a 0.611" group. The 5th shot was my pull 1" away at 2o'clock.

The 43.5gr load delivered 2 shots in the same hole at 2 o'clock, 2" high, but the next 3 were dead center with a 0.486" group.

I didn't graph them but the data I used suggested the speeds would be 2800 to 2833 fps. I certainly need to repeat this experiment to tweak out the difference between these two. But it seems to be an improvement in my goal to get a faster launch.

kilotanker22

I tried Superformance last year and had.pretty good velocity results, but my velocity spread was all over the place.

Reloader 16 is an excellent powder very similar to H-4350, but in my rifle can be load d higher and to a higher velocity.

cdoc42

"I tried Superformance last year and had.pretty good velocity results, but my velocity spread was all over the place."

Did you get any good groups aside from velocity spread?

m&p45acp10+1

If you can find it I would suggest trying some 8208XBR. In both of my 6.5 CM rifles it gives half to quarter MOA for 5 shot groups in real world windy conditions. I tried it at an indoor range that just opened up in my RPR. The range owner was impressed enough he comped the hour of range time. (I let him try 5 shots.) Both of us shot a 5 shot group. Both groups were measured at just over half an inch from outside edge to outside edge.:eek:

I do not have a chrono so I have no idea what the velocity is, or spread. Honestly with groups like this I could care less.

kilotanker22

If you can find it I would suggest trying some 8208XBR. In both of my 6.5 CM rifles it gives half to quarter MOA for 5 shot groups in real world windy conditions. I tried it at an indoor range that just opened up in my RPR. The range owner was impressed enough he comped the hour of range time. (I let him try 5 shots.) Both of us shot a 5 shot group. Both groups were measured at just over half an inch from outside edge to outside edge.:eek:

I do not have a chrono so I have no idea what the velocity is, or spread. Honestly with groups like this I could care less.
I am shooting ten round groups just over half moa with this load with good velocity. I am very happy with it