6.5-284 action question?

lemmonhead

I have always liked the what I have heard about this round and was thinking about having one made up for target shooting and the occasional hunting.

So the question now is do most people build these guns around a short or long action? I always thought that it was intended for a short action but how do the longer 6.5 bullets work in a short action magazine without being a single rifle?

Scorch

Cartridges based on the 284 will fit in a short action magazine as long as you seat the bullets deep enough, which kind of defeats the purpose. Measure the magazine box, but I would bet you will need a regular length action.

trooper3385

You kind of read my mind. I'm getting a 264 win mag built right now, and if that one turns out good, I want to get a 6.5-284 built. That was the same question I asked someone the other day. I pretty much got the same response. The short action will work, but it might be better to get a long action so that you will be able to seat the bullets out further if you want to. I noticed that Midwayusa sells manufactured ammo for a 6.5-284. I thought about buying a box of the manufactured ammo and then sticking it in one of my short actions and see how much room that I will have left over to try to determine myself which action to go with. Just an idea. If anyone has any experience with the caliber, I would love to hear about it as well.

Ruger4570

I built a 35-284 some time ago and love it for deer and Elk. I have found that the 225 gr Sierra and Noslers and lower weights work well, but most 250 grainers have to be seated real deep. I guess the other side is that as you get heavier bullets, you need LESS powder so deep seating my not be so much a problem in some cartridges.

Cheese

I ran the figures and to seat a 140 grain A-Frame even with the neck/shoulder junction your COL is 3.143"

A Remington and Winchester Short action magazine length is about 2.85" (2.86" for the Winny)
Weatherby Long Action is 3.75"
Winchester Long is 3.41"
Mauser is 3.32"
Sako Vixen is 2.34"

That's what I could find for whatever it is worth.