6" 10mm 1911.

slammedsi

Looking to purchase a long slide 10mm 1911. Question is does anyone make one now days thats A, Worth a damn. And B, not so expencive that i have to walk in backwords and bent over to buy the gun?

Ive looked at a few Springfield Omegas for arounds 800. Looked at a Fusion but i have no idea what they cost.

So what is there out there now day??

bamaranger

1911 but.........

I know you said 1911, but...........

Would you consider a Glock 20 , and get a 6" bbl to drop in? The Glock is a proven "platform" to use the latest buzz word, and is readily available.

With the 6" tube, you get the top end ballistics. The std tube gives you a compact, packable SD/GP auto.

NOt sure, but you might need adj sights to get the 6" to shoot to point of aim.

COSteve

If you are set on a 1911 platform, a Glock isn't going to do it for you. That said, if you would consider a Glock, Lone Wolf makes a 6" top end for the G20. My G20/21L below is a custom Glock I made in 2005 with Lone Wolf's help and it's popularity influenced JR to develop and release his line of stainless steel slides.

It started life as a G21 45acp. I found and added a 6" German steel slide and Jarvis 45acp barrel to it in late 2004. A trigger job and some extended controls made for a sweet shooting, accurate 45acp. The 4¾ oz heavier slide/barrel really helped keep the sights on target and soaked up a considerable amount of recoil energy making for a soft shooting 45.

G21LonReloadingBench.jpg

Soon after, I got a wild hair to develop a conversion so it could shoot 10mm too. After talking with Kevin at KKM about my idea, we agreed that it was possible and so I asked him to make me a conversion barrel for it. He agreed and it now carries his first ever 45-10MM conversion barrel. With the barrel and G20 mags I had the first ever 6" G20/21L as I named it.

G20L20L.jpg

After shooting it for a few years, I decided it needed an update so I converted it to a USPSA 'Limited' configuration which included having the slide hardchromed, rounding the trigger guard, adding an extended mag release, replacing the Bo-Mar front sight with a Dawson FO front sight, and adding a Lightning Strike magwell. I also installed Scherer +2 mag extensions giving me 17+1 rds of 10mm capacity.

100_0257.jpg

17+1 rds of my hot 10mm loads make this one fire breathing shooter but because of the polymer frame flex, it's surprisingly easy to shoot. Even 200rds of hot 10mm won't tire out my hands or wrists at all. Try that with a 1911 framed 10mm. It's also surprisingly accurate even at long ranges. 100yd shooting is POA and I regularly shoot it at our steel targets at 200yds offhand. While I don't hit it every time, I feel that's pretty good for open sights and 63yr old eyes.

100_0773.jpg

Best of all, with the magwell removed for hunting, my rig as seen above actually weighs less than a 5" steel 1911 with only 8+1 rds aboard. As expected, the 6" slide yields a 28% longer sight radius which helps significantly and the 6" barrel really allows the 10mm cartridge to perform up to it's full potential using the slower pistol powders such as my favorite, AA's Power Pistol.

To establish the performance available with the 10mm rd, I've chrono'd my 'nuclear' hand loads from this pistol. The data below was generated using an Oehler 35 chrono on a 84° sunny day at our range which sits at 6,100ft asl. I fired 2ea, 10rd strings and averaged the results.

180grn Speer Gold Dot = 1,423fps and 809lb/ft ME, Std Dev. 13.14
165grn Speer Gold Dot = 1,503fps and 827lb/ft ME, Std Dev. 9.93

HisSoldier

Amazing, guy asks about a 1911 and right off the bat two guys start talking about Glocks, gotta be a record.

I think a 1911 in 10MM with a long slide would be a world beater, I hope you find it.

It would be way better than any plastic gun, of course.

HKFan9

I respect Glocks.... but they are completely almost opposite of a 1911. You might be able to get an extended slide and barrel made for the Colt Delta Elite.

slammedsi

Im not apposed to Glocks. But i like the 1911's better. Now that 7in model is sick.

STI for 2700 dollers is out of the question im not paying that kinda money for a hand gun. Anyother options out there. Or am i limited to a Glock for my price range.

LanceOregon

The Fusions are the best, in my opinion. They are top quality 1911's, and 6" models are a specialty of theirs. They make them in a number of both tactical and hunting configurations.

Prices start at $1,295, and go up to $1,695. The first gun pictured below is one of the $1,295 models, and the second one is one of the pricey $1,695 guns.

If your heart is really on a 6" gun, I would say try to save up for a Fusion.

The Springfield Omega was a good gun, but it has been discontinued for many years now. It used a lot of custom parts, and replacement parts are no longer available for it from anyone.

HUNTER%2070-2.jpg

J%20parker%20Scout%20-LS%20YUKON%20-1.jpg

CC%20Hunter%20Scope%20-3.jpg

BentonGoldPro-S-3.jpg

BentonGoldPro-S-8.jpg

Fusion is also selling 10mm guns with an extra .40 S&W or .357 Sig conversion barrel, for folks that want to be able to shoot multiple calibers.

GlenJTactHunterXLCombo-3xx.jpg

Last edited:
They are top quality 1911's, and 6" models are a specialty of theirs.
I shot one recently, and was very impressed. No problems with a variety of different pressure levels, and recoil was milder than I'd have expected.

Accurate as all get-out as well.

slammedsi

While looking at there site i found a new Hunter XL-10 that i just have to have.... Anyone out there own or shoot one? Would love to know what im getting myself into haha. and at 1400 i feel its on the top end of my limit.