5seven in bolt rifle

birdshot

i tried asking this question on another forum, and the question was hijacked. has anyone tried putting the 5.7 in a bolt action rifle?

Moloch

I asked kind of the same questions some time ago, the 7.62x25 in a 22'' bolter would be a very interesting small game / deer rifle.
The 5.7x28 out of a handgun is very similar to the performance of a .22wmr out of a 22'' barrel rifle, so I guess the 5.7x28 out of a rifle would be similar to the .22 hornet.

Although I think there is no rifle in current production that coud take a 5.7x28 shell.

10-96

I asked around about how great it would be if a bolt gun could be had in 5.7x28. The best answer/comment I got was that the onliest folks who could do that woulf be the guys who have the rifle built. OR, FN would have to turn loose of their proprietary clause.

birdshot

i was thinking something like the savage 40 with new barrel. i searched the round on google did not see any pressure or case dimensions so was not sure if this would work.

Buzzcook

The closest I can think of would be the .22WMR.
You might be able to get your 5.7x28 to work in a bolt action meant for that.
You'd have to either custom build the barrel or get the FN carbine barrel to fit on the .22WMR action. You'd also have to convert the .22WMR from rim fire to centerfire.
Your best bet would be a rolling block. probably lot less machining.

Scorch

i searched the round on google did not see any pressure or case dimensions so was not sure if this would work.
Case dimensions- same head size as a 223 (.378"), with a case length of 28.7mm= 1.130", so it is shorter than a Hornet. A 221 Remington Fireball is 1.400", almost exactly the same as a Hornet (1.403").

The 5.7X28 propels a 32 gr bullet at 2,350 fps, 45 gr at 1,950 fps out of a 10.3" barrel, so it's not going to displace the Hornet based on performance (2,700 fps with a 45 gr). And the fact that it is a proprietary round means you would have to modify it slightly in order to get a reamer built for it. All in all, if you want a 5.7X28, get a P90, or you could have a rifle built in 221 Remington Fireball and get an extra 1,000 fps.

bcp

Midway has PTG bolt bodies and short-chambered Shilen barrels to convert a Remington 700 to 5.7x28.

Bruce