5mm

johnnypi45

So taurus is (i guess) re-introducing their Tracker in 5mm. Does anyone know anything about this cartridge or am i just out of the loop? Any information would be informative as i know nothing about it. Just a curiosity. Thanks!

Petey!

ilbob

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=337412

the instruction manual does not list a 5mm chambering. i have never even heard of 5mm. it does list 218bee.

On a lighter note the instruction manual does say this.

WARNING:
Securing your firearm may inhibit access to it in a defense situation and
result in injury or death.
WARNING:
To prevent injury or death, it is imperative that you must keep your gun
unloaded, uncocked, and securely locked, with ammunition in a separate
location. In addition, take any other reasonable steps to limit the possibility of
theft, accident, or suicide.

johnnypi45

the only info i've got on it so far is what ya'll have seen too. however, i appreciate the responses. it just seems like a really awkward cartridge to chamber a revolver in. i understand the buzz for sub-"caliber" rounds these days; however, it seems to me this is another of Taurus' publicity stunts (just not a very smart one). especially considering that only one or two manufacturers are actually producing this round. This is what really kills me, though, "Read the blogs and find out the pent-up demand for the re-introduction of this great little round. We are proud to team up with the new surge and demand for this great ammo by offering our high-class revolver with NINE shots of this blazing 5mm bullet. Challenge yourself to handgun excellence by mounting a good scope and smiling all day in the field." Well, frankly, i have read this forum. All over this forum. So far, i haven't seen one word of this cartridge/firearm combo. I would say this is one of the premier forums on firearms, and not one word? It amazes me that Taurus would be this blind to product demand. But whatever, at least i'm not a share holder:)

p.s. here is the link on Taurus' page: http://taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=617&category=Revolver

Last edited:

22-rimfire

It is a rimfire caliber. Ammo was introduced just prior to the 2008 shot show. Remington made the only rifle in the caliber back in the 1970's. It is a great round, but I'm not so sure I would buy it in a revolver.

I'm waiting for either CZ, Savage, or Remington to bring out a rifle in the caliber and I will be buying. Just looked at a CZ in 22 WMR today... tempted, but I want a 5mm. Should shoot much more accurately and in the league as the the 17 HMR but with a heavier bullet.

johnnypi45

Sounds like it might be a pretty decent little round. But like i said, seems kinda awkward for a revolver. I hope you find what you're lookin for soon, and hope to hear about it here on TFL!

Petey

ilbob

once a revolver platform is designed, it does not cost all that much to change the barrel and cylinder for a different caliber. my guess is that if they sell a 1000 of them a year they will make a profit on the deal.