5904 or p85

stillquietvoice

First off Its been more than 10 years since I've had an auto pistol for defense or carry. My last carry gun was a para p14 45. I have fired a friends m&p shield, but prefer a full size gun.
Which of these do you think will be the better choice. Does either have any serious flaws to be early of.
Thank you for your wisdom.

Whirlwind06

The S&W is a lot smaller then the p85 (I assume you mean Ruger p85) if you are open to other TDA pistols I would suggest the Beretta Px4 or CZ 09 or 07

Mosin44az

The Ruger P85 had a safety-related recall. I believe if the one you are considering has been corrected it should say “ Mark II” on the slide or similar. Check with Ruger, they will fix for free.

Odd choice you have, almost a time warp from the 80’s. Both should function OK, the Smith is slimmer and should have more collector value.

stillquietvoice

I started shooting pistols in the mid 80's, not up on the latest and greatest. Not a fan of do pistols either. Like heavier guns for punching paper... Plus a local shop has both for 400 or less.
I had 2 Taurus 99 ads a star 30 and a p14. The p14 was most accurate.

muzzleblast...

Personally, I'd go with the 5904. Nothing against the metal framed Ruger P series, but the S&W semi-autos began in the late 1950s and evolved until the 3rd generation series and are well proven designs.

kymasabe

Having owned similar guns, my nod goes to the 5904. Lighter, slimmer, more refined, reliable as heck. I like the Ruger as well but if given a choice, I'd reach for the s&w.

rock185

I had a Ruger P85, and several S&Ws semi-autos. I would would pick the 5904 without hesitation.....ymmv

dgludwig

I'm a big fan of Smith 3rd Generation pistols; a Model 6906 was my duty weapon for a couple of decades. Very rugged and reliable pistols. I have nothing against the Ruger but I have no experience with the P85 model.

stillquietvoice

Well I made the 80 mile round trip and bought the Smith. It will be a couple weeks before I can pick it up. NY run around putting it on my permit. Will update and give range report then.
Thank you all for your help.