56mm Objective on Varmint FT upper

SHIVAN

I have a benchrest scope I am putting on the new upper I got for hunting varmints. It has a 30mm tube and a 56mm objective........

What would be the best guess as to height rings I would need to order. Nobody in my area has a nice enough selection to see what height would work, and I don't want to order them too short.....

Please advise.

Thanks,

Ed

M4A3

I would go as low as possabe with out it coming in contact with any part of the rifle. Also keep in mind a comfortable hight for you to shoot with. You dont want to have to force you're cheek bone to the rifle just too look thriugh the scope.

I had kinda the same set-up on my 1st AR-15. It was a DPMS Artic Panther 20" bull barrel with a SpringFeild Armory 6-20x56mm scope. I got some low rings for it and it worked quite well. But I tried a few differnt rings befor I got to the ideal hight.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
This is a flat top? Measure. Use some sort of spacers (heck; dominoes? pieces of paint-stirrer sticks?) on top and lay the scope on them and then see how high ya gotta go.

:p, Art

Swamp Yankee

Go over to www.midwayusa.com
Get to the rings section and click on Technical Info and Charts. There you will find the ring heights and other info needed to mount different objective scopes. They have info for Weaver, Leupold, Burris, and Millett in the charts.
Another suggestion, if you call www.bearbasin.com and explain the situation. They will help you select the proper rings, (or at least they have done that courtesy for me), provided you order the rings from them of course.
Best guess is your going to need extra high rings or need to add a riser block.
Take Care

uglygun

About the most perfect mount I've ever laid hands on for an AR15 flattop rifle is the Armalite 1 piece mount. With my Leupold 6.5-20x Long Range(30mm main tube and 50mm objective) it mounts the scope at the same centerline height over the bore as typical iron sights use, very comfortable. The clearance is enough to place the objective about a 1/4 inch above my freefloat tube and about the same distance above a set of regular length A2 handguards.

It's possible that not all 56mm objectives would fit though after the adjustable objective is factored in, turret style parallax adjustment 56mm scopes would likely mount just fine though.

Anyhow, something to look into. Really is my answer to any mounting need on an AR15 when it comes to most conventional rifle scopes, with all the removal and reinstallation of the scope over the years it always returns to zero that either it's spot on or I'm not a good enough shooter to notice a difference.