556 11.5" w/MIDLENGTH gas??

Sharkbite

I'm looking at a light weight barrel for one of my 5.56 SBR's

One company I'm looking at has a really nice profile that I like, but it's only offered in a MID LENGTH gas system in an 11.5" length

I would have expected a carbine length system. Anybody have any experience with a similar setup?

Port size is .110.....

Thx

Theohazard

Interesting, never heard of a mid-length gas system on a 11.5" barrel. But if the gas port is sized correctly it should work fine, and it should have a little less recoil than the same set-up with a carbine-length gas system. Though I suppose the downside is that it might have less flexibility when it comes to different ammo pressures.

It seems like this would be perfect for a suppressed rifle. I went the same route with my last upper build: It was a 14.5" barrel and most people use carbine-length gas for that, but since I almost always shoot suppressed I went with a 14.5" mid-length instead. This seems like the same kind of thing: Most people use carbine-length for 11.5" barrels, but that classic set-up is designed without the extra pressure of a silencer in mind.

So I suppose it makes sense to have an 11.5" mid-length if you're mostly shooting suppressed, and I'll bet that's what you'll be doing since you have even more cans than I do! ;)

Sharkbite

Thanks Theo...

In speaking to the Company owner at SHOT, He did say it was made for suppressed use.

I want the versatility to run it without the can...

I guess I'll spend some time on the phone with their tech guys and see what they say

Theohazard

Let me know what they say, but I'll tell you my take on this (and of course that take could change as you find out more about this company and this barrel).

If this barrel was for something like a primary bug-out rifle or something like that, then I'd want to stress reliability and flexibility over anything else. The 11.5" with a carbine-length gas system is a proven design, and in theory it should run with a wider range if ammo pressures than a mid-length.

On the other hand, the mid-length 11.5" should be a little softer shooting, especially with a silencer. And that can mean faster follow-up shots and longer parts life.

But I guess it all comes down to real-world testing; maybe a mid-length gas system is a better choice for all-around suppressed and unsuppressed use on an 11.5" barrel, and this company is just the first to figure that out. I'll say that I was little skeptical of running a non-standard gas length when I got that 14.5" mid-length barrel, but there are two things that convinced me that it would be fine: First, it's a Daniel Defense barrel and they definitely know what they're doing. And second, my buffer system is a VLTOR A5 system, which mimics an M16 buffer system in a collapsible stock setup, and is more flexible with different gas pressures.

It's a little more difficult for you since this setup isn't as common as a 14.5" mid-length and this company isn't anywhere near as proven as Daniel Defense. But I say go for it and give this barrel a try if this is just a recreational build and you can afford to take chances with reliability. You might end up with a better setup in the end.

Mobuck

"So I suppose it makes sense to have an 11.5" mid-length if you're mostly shooting suppressed, and I'll bet that's what you'll be doing since you have even more cans than I do!"

Agreed,
11.5" mid-length would make for very short "dwell time" unless using a can.