545 people

okiefarmer

I thought this was a good analogy of what's taking place and places blame where it should be.

By Charlie Reese

Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.

Have you ever wondered why, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, we have deficits?

Have you ever wondered why, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, we have inflation and high taxes?

You and I don't propose a federal budget. The president does.

You and I don't have the Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations. The House of Representatives does.

You and I don't write the tax code, Congress does.

You and I don't set fiscal policy, Congress does.

You and I don't control monetary policy, the Federal Reserve Bank does.

One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one president, and nine Supreme Court justices 545 human beings out of the 300 million are directly, legally, morally, and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country. I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Board because that problem was created by the Congress. In 1913, Congress delegated its Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally chartered, but private, central bank.

I excluded all the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason. They have no legal authority. They have no ability to coerce a senator, a congressman, or a president to do one cotton-picking thing. I don't care if they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash. The politician has the power to accept or reject it. No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator's responsibility to determine how he votes.

Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you that what they did is not their fault. They cooperate in this common con regardless of party.

What separates a politician from a normal human being is an excessive amount of gall. No normal human being would have the gall of a Speaker, who stood up and criticized the President for creating deficits. The president can only propose a budget. He cannot force the Congress to accept it.

The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating and approving appropriations and taxes. Who is the speaker of the House? She is the leader of the majority party. She and fellow House members, not the president, can approve any budget they want. If the president vetoes it, they can pass it over his veto if they agree to.

It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300 million can not replace 545 people who stand convicted -- by present facts -- of incompetence and irresponsibility. I can't think of a single domestic problem that is not traceable directly to those 545 people. When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545 people exercise the power of the federal government, then it must follow that what exists is what they want to exist.

If the tax code is unfair, it's because they want it unfair.

If the budget is in the red, it's because they want it in the red.

If the Marines are in IRAQ , it's because they want them in IRAQ .

If they do not receive social security but are on an elite retirement plan not available to the people, it's because they want it that way.

There are no insoluble government problems.

Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from whom they can take this power. Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that there exists disembodied mystical forces like "the economy," "inflation," or "politics" that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.

Those 545 people, and they alone, are responsible.

They, and they alone, have the power.

They, and they alone, should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses provided the voters have the gumption to manage their own employees.

We should vote all of them out of office and clean up their mess!

elrod

To most citizens of this country, your figures are all wrong. In the first place, the Government is only a provider of needs. In order to get their vote, the public officals must continue to provide them with daily sustinance, shelter, and child support. Liberty and freedom be damned. It is sad, but this segment of the population is rapidly becoming the majority, living off the minority who pay most of the taxes.

Then there are the hard-working people who go to work, pay taxes, mind their own business, watch American Idol, and have no idea about politics. Their taxes are "too high", but their Congressmen are doing a good job! Its always the other members of Congress that got us in this mess. They send their guys back time after time, and things stay the same. I'm afraid many of us (including myself) would be in this group to a certain degree.

We entrust this mighty power to literally control the destiny of mankind to those who are wealthy enough to convince the voters of their superior honesty and virtue of character. Five hundred forty-five humans. Our leaders, like it or not. :(

dipper

The people to blame are in the mirror, to your right and to your left.
We're to blame, each and everyone of us myself included.
The GIANT that is the American people has been kicked,poked with a stick, had water thrown in its face, etc. and WE still sleep.
We listen to the same old rhetoric,wrapped in a different parties spin and we think things will be different.

One definition of CRAZY---doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Bickering among ourselves as to which party or which candidate is "BETTER" when THEY ARE ALL THE SAME.

No wonder why most politicians look down their noses at us with disdain and contempt, we deserve it---no wonder they vote themselves raises--we grumble they LAUGH.

AGAIN, another example of AMERICANS looking to blame someone or something else for their problems.
We all need to GET OFF THE TIT--and act like men and women and take some PERSONNEL RESPONSIBILITY for ourselves and our country.

Just a side note, I have read and heard mention of it on the news, that George Bush was giving advise and pointers to Hillary when the Preliminaries were going hot and heavy---wonder why??
We have a ruling class and a ruling club and we (past and present) let it happen while we were sleeping.

RANT OFF!!

Dipper

Technosavant

Just a side note, I have read and heard mention of it on the news, that George Bush was giving advise and pointers to Hillary when the Preliminaries were going hot and heavy---wonder why??
We have a ruling class and a ruling club and we (past and present) let it happen while we were sleeping.

Heck, compare the rhetoric about "fighting the other side" and that sort of crap we get every election year to how they all are when they're together. One senator comes home and complains about the useless jerks across the aisle, but back in DC, they're shaking hands, patting backs, and going out for drinks together. Just look at their response to Ted Kennedy- they whine and complain about him come election time, but they are all kinds of magnanimous and friendly back in the halls of power.

They're playing both ends against the middle. They play we the people against each other and then they reap the benefits of their lofty perches.

Even saying "turn all the bastards out" doesn't seem to matter- the atmosphere of DC is likely more corrupting than the imperial courts of Rome ever hoped to be. Who need absolute power when you're able to dodge responsibility for everything while riding the gravy train for life?

The easiest job in the world has to be a US Representative, with Senator close behind. You have all the power, all the benefits, all the goodies, while being darn near impossible to unseat (the Reps have the advantage here, since their districts are usually gerrymandered to a fare-thee-well).

Rat bastards, the lot of them.

okiefarmer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efKguI0NFek&feature=related

Yeah, I realize they all come from a cross section of "US" that we elected, but in no other line of work could one lie like a politician and promise the world, then renege on everything he promised once in office. In the business world, that manager would be out on his ear in a heartbeat for not performing. Being a politician is a lifestyle, not a job, otherwise they would not work so hard to get re-elected each term promising the same old **** to the same stupid electorate who can't remember what they had for dinner yesterday, much less that the incumbent up for re-election didn't do anything he promised last time.