500 mag loads

500maglover

I have this nice powerful revolver with the 6.5" barrel and its so much fun.
I just wonder if anyone has tried using Win-572 powder with it? Their website shows loading data for more handgun cartridges than it used to, some getting pretty close to 500, but not quite.

I mostly use longshot because it takes about 25 gr. if I used lilgun it would be more like 44gr.

572 might be a nice choice if they ever tested it.

Marco Califo

Published Data Only

If they do not publish data for your powder it is because it is not safe. Not that they just haven't tested it yet. There is science and years of know-how that go into published data. Ask the Winchester ballisticians. I could not find a number for them.
https://hodgdonreloading.com/rldc/

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
If they do not publish data for your powder it is because it is not safe. Not that they just haven't tested it yet.

That may be true for some sources, but I don't think it is true for all sources.

There are times when a powder is tested and found safe, but not suitable. There are times when at the time of testing a specific powder is simply not available to the testers. And there are times when a powder is suitable for some things but not what most people are looking for. All of these are reasons why a given powder is not listed in the manual or online data.

I do not agree that the only reason for not publishing data is that the powder is not safe for use in a given cartridge.

Time, space, and cost play a part, as well.

ligonierbill

I had to look it up. The primary application is shotshells, with some usefulness in autoloader pistols. Apparently similar to HS-6. Not a good match for a big case. Just for grins, I ran a QuickLoad on it, which I will not include here. What you'd expect: hits max pressure with velocity far below what the round is designed for.

Nathan

Just for grins, I ran a QuickLoad on it, which I will not include here. What you'd expect: hits max pressure with velocity far below what the round is designed for.

I run a lot of Quickload too. Thank you for not sharing data you find unacceptable or problematic. Quickload can give you a lot of answers, but they are not all right!