$500-600 to spend during summer. I need a good rifle.

JeffLrrp

So I should make enough money over summertime to be able to purchase a few guns -- one of which I want to be a rifle. I have 4 guns already, a Glock 19, a S&W prelock model 10, a Ruger 10/22 and a Rem 870 20 GA. However, I really want a good rifle in a decent caliber that can be used in a defensive SHTF scenario. I'll have about $500-600 to spend for it. What do you guys and gals suggest.

Caveat: It can be brand new or milsurp good-excellent condition (Im a little wary of cosmoline, though). I'd like it chambered in a good caliber, can be either pistol caliber (like .357) or rifle caliber (preferably 7.62x39, .223).

I look forward to your suggestions. Thanks.

10-96

I'm sure you'll get lots of excellent repplies here, but why would you want us to suck out all the fun of running amuck at a gunshow with a wad of cash burning a hole in your pocket?

Hey, speaking of gunshows- Ours opens up in 10 min, I have a whoping $3.63 in my pocket and I'm not gonna leave until I spend every last cent!:D

JeffLrrp

Well, I know of a few good ideas that would make a good rifle (yugo sks, decent Ak-47s, milsurp bolt actions, a couple of new bolt actions, etc). I just wanted others' opinions on what they would get.

Good luck with the $3.63:D

10-96

Buy an AR upper... or lower. Nothing will give you the "want to's" to earn a little extra money (for the other half) like half of a rifle laying there on your coffee table for a month or two.

azredhawk44

If you've got $500-$600 now, and you want .357, .223 or 7.62x39, there isn't a HUGE selection, but there's some out there.

You can get a Marlin lever gun in .357 for around $400.

You can get a Keltec SU-2000 in 9mm that will use the same mags as your glock, but for punching paper it will probably be less satisfying than your 10/22.

British Lee-Enfields are neat. I think they go for around $200, have one of the fastest bolt designs out there, and 10-rd capacity. I really like the Enfield Ishapores... the Brit Lee-Enfields are chambered in .303, but the Indian Ishapores are chambered in 7.62 Nato (.308).

Mosin-Nagants are fun. I've got one, a 91/30 with a 28" barrel. Feels like a poor man's magnum. They cost less than $100, and are some of the cheapest milsurp ammunition available today. About 15 cents a round.

Or, there's the SKS/AK platform. About $200 will land you a clean SKS, or $400 for an AK-47. You might consider an AK-74, in 5.45x39 instead of 7.62x39 since the ammo is way cheaper. Buy cheap, stack deep!

Also in the AK platform is the Saiga product line. They make .223 and .308 AK rifles. Run about $300-$400 new, I think, and are pretty well respected as a quality entry level rifle with greater accuracy than Ruger's Mini-series.

Me in your shoes?

I'd go combloc. Since you have no rifle at all, I'd immediately get down to the nearest Big 5 Sporting goods and select a good looking Mosin Nagant 91/30 for about $80. Then I'd hop online to J&G Sales and get a couple of surplus tins of ammo for it for another $100 or so, depending on what shipping costs do.

That would leave $400 or so for a gun show adventure. Browse around and find yourself something that really tugs at your "gotta git it" gland. I think a good, clean AK-74 would be a great companion to what you have, or a Saiga in .223.

Tikirocker

I reckon for every person that responds to this you'll get a different response. The most important thing for a SHTF deal is to match your rifle/gun to your environment/situation/circumstances.

I live in the Mountains with wilderness literally 3 minutes on foot from my front door - I can hit that bush and disappear in ten minutes if need be. My party would consist of two people so I have the luxury of being able to choose two rifles to take, with me carrying the heavy one. I chose rifles with cals and features suitable to my environment and probable needs, thus.

Lee Enfield No5 MK1 Jungle Carbine -

Here's mine ...

JungleCarbTiki12.jpg

JungleCarbTiki14.jpg

1# - Cal = .303 common here and I reload/hand load. Great well proven round for just about any situation I may require from self defense to hunting.

2# - Very Light weight, handy in thick scrub or close quarters.

3# - Flash hider and bayonet lug for excellent bayonet.

3a# - Bayonet is superb and serves as primary survival knife.

4# - 10 round magazine easily quick loaded from pre-prepared 5 round stripper clips.

5# - One of the smoothest bolt actions ever devised.

5# - As accurate out to 800 yards unsupported as a No4.

6# - Excellent micrometer rear sights.

7# - Can be fitted with a no drill/tap scope mount and scope of choice.

8# - Stock bolt hole tube in butt stock perfect for carrying small items like compass, candle, flint, matches and small signal mirror.

9# - Battle proven hardy and reliable chamber in mud, dirt and dust and keeps keeping on regardless.

10# - Wandering zero has been proven a myth time and time again by collectors and owners.

11# - Perfect weight for a female party member to carry.

12# - Small enough for easy concealment under jackets and clothing including inside a backpack or rolled up inside bedding.

I could go on about the No5 ...

My second choice is a Savage No4 MK1* which is essentially the full wood version of a No5 with a few small differences. I would choose this as my reach out and touch somebody rifle and have it scope mounted to tackle obstacles up to and beyond the 1000 yard range - these rifles served as sniper rifles with complete distinction and continue to serve to this day with certain countries.

My objective would be escape and evade and general wilderness survival in a SHTF scenario - I would not seek to engage people or groups but if I had to I think this two rifle combination would cover all my particular needs without going into other details regarding resupply and a cache system etc. Just look at where you are and consider your needs, what your comfortable with given your likely situation.

Cheers,

TPAW

I really want a good rifle in a decent caliber that can be used in a defensive SHTF scenario. I'll have about $500-600 to spend for it.

For around $350 to $400, you can get a decent AK-47 in 7.62x39, with 30 round magazines. It's a reliable weapon that delivers plenty of fire power. With the left over $200 or so, buy ammo......;)

Darren007

Its illegal to send any firearm from overseas through the U.S. Mail. When I was in Iraq during the first year of the war, several guys got caught trying to ship back AK-47s they picked up.

Tikirocker

I have heard they are stringent about knives ... plenty of Soldiers have had their nice collectible blades confiscated by the MP's or whoever is in charge of all that only to find they get gifted to other people in a sort of racket type atmosphere. You know ... "We have to confiscate these sorry ... errr so we can keep the ones we like and give the others to our buddies!" type stuff. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Rifleman 173

I'd go with an SKS in a paratrooper model if I were you. Good round with the 7.62 X 39 bullet. Dependable gun. Ammo is plentiful and available by mail in most cases. You can get accessories for it later on to change it to your liking. The bullet can be used to drop deer and is, in some states, legal for deer hunting. I'd pick up the SKS, some stripper clips for reloading and a little bit of ammo for it. It'll give you decent shooting abilities, minute of bad guy, out to around 300 meters or a little more. You can also mount a cheap scope or red dot on it to improve accuracy and speed.

TPAW

An AR is also a consideration. I would make sure it's chambered for both 5.56 and .223. Ask your dealer before you buy one. Bushmaster shoots both.

ckd

Something in 7.62x39, cheaper to shoot and effective. Depending on where you live/laws, SKS is lower profile and priced, use 10 round stipper clips not magazines (cheaper but functional), figure $200-300 in good or better shape with cosmoline removed; Chinese or Russian are generally more desirable. An AK would be a step up in capacity and price, but not accuracy. We have 223/5.56 too, but ammo and original price of the rifle generally exceed your dollar limits, with less punch through cover; even the Mrs. likes shooting the SKS.

We have and like lever actions, but for SD, semi-autos are superior. These days, as ammo prices explode like gasoline's, this may be more important than the orginal rifle expense for regular shooters. Like your 9mm, and effective caliber with a tremendous range of ammunition abilities and prices.