.50 cal Hawken CVA un fired.

baddarryl

Hi all. I have a muzzle loader that was given to me as a kit. I never did anything with it and it sat in a basement for 15 years or so. Well my dad decided to put it together and salvage what was left of it. Obviously it doesn't look great due to neglect, but the action seems to work. He is gone now and I'd like to shoot it one day, maybe even hunt with it. I know nothing about muzzle loading so where do I start as far as supplies I need and what to do to this rifle before shooting it as far as the barrel is concerned; safety etc.? Thank you.

T. O'Heir

Start with a copy of The Lyman BP Handbook and Loading Manual by Sam Fadala. $21.50 directly from Lyman. Less via Amazon. Tell you everything you need to know and is a pretty good read.
CVA quit making the kits, but they and most regular gun shops sell BP and BP bullets. These guys list a manual, but you have to work for it.
https://docs.askiven.com/cva-hawken-50-cal-manual.html

Powder horn or flask.
Powder measure.
Ball starter.
Range rod (delrin or metal with a brass muzzle guard)
Cleaning jag
worm
stuck ball remover
nipple wrench (some fancier ones are multi-tool)
Possibles bag or range box to carry the above

Of course, you also need:

Powder
Patch and
Ball.

Nice but not necessary
capper (easier to cap especially if it's cold)

You may want to watch some instructional videos on YouTube.

Can I assume its a cap lock you have?

As far as shooting aids & acrutiments required. The list is endless. If what your looking at appears to fill a need. My advice: Just buy it.

As far as the rifles put-together. Since its a un-finshed B/P gun. You might consider putting up a pix or two here to show its condition. Then sit back and read what others suggest or needed steps to follow.

Your rifle shouldn't be all that hard to complete. Those kit guns. Most of the hard things to do for the average Joe were resolved prior at the factory.

Missing parts: That may be a issue if aftermarket parts aren't available. Not wanting to infringe on Frontier Gander suggestion. Those missing parts may also be found here: https://www.trackofthewolf.com/

I have ordered some things for my rifles here & there over the years from Track of the Wolf located in Elk River MN without ever incurring any disappointments. (their a local business here) Great fellows always willing to discuss or pose question too. Anywho. Get that rifle build underway. By or before Fall. You should be familiar with your rifles workings & capability before carrying it afield. After-all B/P deer season is the best time of the year for many of us. Well~~ almost._:)