50 cal Black powder "Kentucky kit"... and acraglass...

Vicnchan

So I got this cool looking 50 cal muzzle loading pistol from a buddy of mine. He had gotten it and a rifle from a relative and had never shot them. Took it home and proceeded to try and take it apart to check/ clean it.

There in lies the problem. The gentleman who built the kit, appears to have removed too much wood from the stock... and decided to fill the void with acraglass. It would also appear that he had never heard of release agent. Even the lockwork plate is forever joined to the wood.

Does anyone have ANY Ideas for un-fornicating this thing?

And pure methylene chloride submerged soak will dissolve epoxies and any other finish you might have on it as well as all lubricants and any plastic parts that might be present and any natural oils in the wood. You could probably take it to a furniture refinished who has a commercial heated stripping tank and get most of it softened or removed in there, but ask them if their machine deals with epoxy finishes well. The epoxy I've dissolved in methylene chloride was the epoxy molded around a transistor to serve as its case. Jewelers use it to attack clear stone mounting resins, including epoxy. In my case, over time, it turned the epoxy case into a sort of gel. Beware of fumes, though, if you get some.