50 CAL AMMUNITION CAN MARKINGS

darogue1

Anybody have experience with those 50 cal ammo cans. Have a few I am trying to figure out the codes and such on the sides. Any information or web sites that would help are appreciated. I know that many of you must have them out there. Do you have any that are marked "off the beaten path" or weird. Also hear that the military was/are destroying them rather than releasing them to the surplus market. Something about war material or some such thing!!?? Please write and let me know. Thanks a lot---Darogue1

Q-Ball

Jeez I hope they arent destroying them. The .50 cal ammo can has to be one of the most useful surplus items you can buy.

ModIMark0

I have or have seen markings on .50 cal ammo cans for the following (not all the types are as they are marked on the cans):
-12 gage OO buck
-12 gage #4 buck
-M118 special match (7.62x51) in boxes
-.45 cal in boxes with TZZ factory codes (Israeli
manufacture)
-cartridge, ball, caliber .38, M41
-5.56 tracer (can't recall the designation)
-9 mm ball (in .30 cal. ammo cans as well, though I didn't buy b/c the store asked too much for them).

And the usual M855 and M193 5.56 stuff, with the .50 cal. marked ones as well. Anyone else see some unique markings?

Cliff

Not unusual or rare, but a couple of mine have FOR B52 AIRCRAFT USE ONLY stenciled on the top.

They originally contained 100 rounds of linked .50 cal API M8 ammo.

I have the cans because that's what 400 rounds of Talon M2 ball were shipped in.

Cliff

Clayton Hufford

When I was in the military, we had everything you could imagine stored in them. You may find a can that states "Dry socks, woolen sole MK1 MOD0" If I had a penny for every ammo can and every other piece of field gear that I have buried, thrown away, etc....

tc556guy

The cans are marked with the type of ammo, number of rounds, a UN item number , and the DODAC number. Which number would you like to know about?

Let's all sing the praises of the ammo can!

I didn't have any until a couple of years ago.

I got several at a gunshow for storing unloaded brass and loaded ammo, as well as for portaging ammo to and from the range.

Every time I go to a gunshow I pick up a couple more.

I'm now storing the following items in my ammo cans:

1. Brass
2. Ammo
3. Bulk bullets (when the box disintegrates)
4. Handguns (with some mothballs or VPI paper)
5. Tool heads, dies, and other parts for my reloading press (my basement is kind of damp).
6. Spare magazines
7. Sterling Silver service

Not to mention tons and tons of odds & ends of all types.