50 cal air rifles

headroom

I'm trying to remember where i saw it but the rebels during the civil war had some air rifles they'd gotten from europe that fired something like a 50 cal bullet. Anybody else heard of them, i for the life of me cannot remember now where i read it. i do remember that it drove the yankees nuts with no report or muzzle flash to give their positions away.

Paul B.

Headroom. Seems to me I read about them someplace too. It may have been in an American Rifleman, but I am not positive on that.
There is some documentation of a air rifle of about .50 caliber being used on the Lewis and Clark expedition.
If I come across it, I'll post the info for yoy.
Paul B.
COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!

ArizonaMorgan

They were outlawed in France because of the fact that the report and flash were basically non-existent. It was considered a hanging offense and anyone caught with one was hung on the spot. At least that's what I've heard.

The airgun carried by the Corp of Discovery (Clark & Lewis) was made by Isiah Lukens, who also made the clock we now see on Independence Hall, Philadelphia. It's a .36 caliber air gun with the reservoir in the butt (unlike many English made ones with the big ball air bladder beneath the lock). This gun is still in existence today and I believe (but it must be confirmed) that it is at the Milwaukee Public Museum.

The Confederates did attempt to get some Dickinson airguns, but General Benjamin Butler (nicknamed by the Ladies of New Orleans as, "Beast") intervened in a timely manner and prevented their delivery. He also prevented delivery of Gatling guns to the South. As a sidenote, Butler demonstrated the efficiency of the Gatling gun when he fired on Johnny. Living up to his nickname, the Beast fired upon some Johnnies who had, unarmed, crossed over no man's land and stood atop of Union trenches, thereby fraternizating with the Billy Yank. Very unsportsman like of him.

Concerning the Austrians, their air guns were made by C. G. Girardoni of Vienna and like reported, were 50 caliber. They weighed 8.36 lbs, had 12 grooves (the original microgroove) in the 47.58" barrel and had a magazine which held about 10 rounds. The butt flask could hold pressures as high as 400 lbs and was sufficient for 40 shots, though in the field it was replaced after 20 shots. Each soldier was equipped with two to four extra butt flasks which they carried into the field. These guns could reach out to 400 yards, but its effective range was closer to 100-150.

Initially, 4 men were assigned to a company but they were so successful, that a corp of 1300 men were trained by Capt. (Hauptman) Freiherr von Mack. Yep, Boney was unhappy about these guys and did order that any Austrian caught with one would be executed. Those Hapsburgs don't fight fair.