.50 BMG components reloading list

TXAZ

.50 BMG reloading may be in the cards in the near future.

Is there a list somewhere of *everything* that would be needed to take spent brass and turn it into high quality ammo?
I know some of the kits have many components, but it seems like there is always something else missing.

Thanks.

rg1

Without getting into exact tools to buy, you have to have a 50 BMG case trimmer. If you're going to buy military once fired cases you have to have some method of removing primer pocket crimps. I recommend a 50 BMG primer pocket uniformer as I've found some lots of military cases I've bought that had shallow primer pockets and primers would not seat flush or below. I also recommend a headspace gauge to measure how much you're pushing shoulders back. It's easy to have a few cases that don't get sized back and may not chamber especially once fired military. Search for all the tools, factory or home made to measure case shoulders. Need some way to lube inside cases necks such as brushes etc. I use a lube pad for lubing the case body. Most say Imperial Sizing lube or Dillon's case lube. Need a good vibratory tumbler or some method of cleaning cases and also for removing lube. A Lyman 1200 for instance only will handle about 25 cases at a time while a big machine such as Dillon 2001 will tumble 100 at a time. Of course you need a good heavy duty press, dies, and a good powder scale for the 200 grain plus powder charge. Basically all the tools you need for smaller calibers except for 50 BMG. If and only if you have a tight match chamber you may need a case neck turner but not for standard chambers is a turner totally necessary. An electronic scale that will weigh the heavy 50 bullets or cases is handy. I would recommend a 1500 grain capacity. Just a few things needed that I mentioned. Good ear protection for shooting and safety glasses for shooting and reloading, plus something to wipe the grin off your face after pulling the trigger.

Last edited:

50 shooter

tools_01jpg

tools_02.jpg

tools_03.jpg

Some of the tools you'll need for reloading .50 BMG, these are for a fullsize press. The Lee press uses smaller dies due to it being smaller.