.50 BMG accesories questions

MosinM38

Well I'm making the big leap...Well...sometime soon :rolleyes:

Probably February, but I might hold off a short while longer.

I am planning on getting a Safety Harbor SHTF .50 upper. $2,000 for the 29" barrel, extra 5 round magazine and the flip up iron sights (Another $300 between them).

Anyway, my questions:

#1. The page description http://www.safetyharborfirearms.com/html/shtf_50.html says
Hammer: 1 supplied ( to replace AR15/M16 hammer).

I am also getting the extra strength hammer spring ($4) later on.

My question:

How easily can a .50 BMG upper be installed on an AR15 trigger group? From what I've HEARD (Internet rumours you know*Hysterical laugh*), is basically installing a new hammer, extra strength spring and you should be good to go.

One reason I ask is since the .50 will be.....lets just say rarely shot, say two or three times a year, is it easy enough to feasibly remove it after use and install a standard AR15 upper to use in the interim?

And my final question: Is an adjustable length stock necessary? Alot of the .50's I've seen with AR lowers have adjustable length stocks. Are the standard fixed buttstocks to short? I know looks aren't a primary consideration, but I think the adjustable lengths are ugly....

Any help would be appreciated!

Grant.

50 shooter

As far as the lower goes, I would buy another one due to the fact that it's just easier to have a dedicated lower set up for the upper. Having to remove and replace parts every time you wanted to shoot it just seems like a PITA.

As for the stock, it's really up to you and what you like. I think some guys put adjustable stocks on them to make them a bit shorter to fit into their rifle case.

Anyways, here's a link to a write up a friend of mine did on his Safety Harbor upper. http://www.daplane.com/50bmg/um50rpt.htm

Ridge_Runner_5

If you need to replace the hammer and spring, it would be easiest to get another lower receiver.

If its a .50BMG upper, then its likely bolt action.

Seperate your current rifle's upper and lower halves by releasing the push pins.
Remove the upper half and set aside
Remove the buffer and spring in the buttstock
Install .50 upper half, and secure with push pins

You are ready to go.

MosinM38

Well I ain't got a lower yet :D

I'm gonna get one for the .50 and had been contemplating getting a .223 AR upper for it.

I will go the route of a seperate lower for the .50 too. I just figure that after awhile the .50's gonna be just sitting there long enough it might be feasable.

Then again, most .50 guys I talk to seem to be addicted to them :rolleyes: Mayeb it won't just be sitting there.

Whenever I get it, and fully assembled, I'll put up photo's :D It'll still be awhile off though.